Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am still a bit confused about the whole organic/free range debate.

I found this on the DEFRA website.

"Livestock
Livestock form an integral part of the majority of organic farms, although there are some successful stockless systems. Organic livestock enterprises are land based and are generally supported from the farm's own resources as
far as possible.

Organic standards do not allow intensively housed stock or systems where a large amount of total feed has to be bought in. Most existing dairy, beef and sheep enterprises can be converted to an organic system, given appropriate changes to feeding, housing and health management. Pigs and poultry must be managed extensively under an organic system, with extensive outdoor access. Organic standards require that the feed ration is 80 per cent organic for non-ruminants, and 90 per cent organic for ruminants. For
ruminants at least 60 per cent of dry matter must be from fresh or conserved forage."

So this sounds to me as though poultry and pigs have to have extensive outdoor access but what about cattle and sheep? It sounds as though they can't be "intensively
housed" but not that they have to have access to the outside? Maybe this is where grain fed beef comes in?

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for starting this debate though Azz, as I am certainly learning about something I already thought I knew a bit about - but clearly don't!
I agree it is a good thread and it has made me reread a lot of things just to make sure

I posted this link which answers your question yesterday.
http://www.soilassociation.org/Whyor...4/Default.aspx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Why do I still eat meat?

Because I love it! I do eat veggie dishes, but not often - and only if there is no meat available.
I have meat at least once per day.

People who say they are veggies, but eat fish confuse me!
Don't have anything against veggies though!
But I choose to eat meat
Why? Is it not OK to say I'm veggie then, even though the only reason I do it is because nobody knows the term pescetarian? (It's not even in the spell check!! ;o)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Why? Is it not OK to say I'm veggie then, even though the only reason I do it is because nobody knows the term pescetarian? (It's not even in the spell check!! ;o)
I know the term
Say it, and educate more people!

Sorry if i've missed it in the thread, but why are you a vegetarian (sorry....Pescetarian )?
Is it because you don't like the taste, or because you don't like the way the animals are killed?

The reason it confuses me, is because most people are veggie because they don't like the way the animals are treated/killed - and I don't understand why they don't extend this feeling to fish!
Are fish not as important to those people as say, cows are?

Does that make any sense at all?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I know the term
Say it, and educate more people!

Sorry if i've missed it in the thread, but why are you a vegetarian (sorry....Pescetarian )?
Is it because you don't like the taste, or because you don't like the way the animals are killed?

The reason it confuses me, is because most people are veggie because they don't like the way the animals are treated/killed - and I don't understand why they don't extend this feeling to fish!
Are fish not as important to those people as say, cows are?

Absolutely makes sense. I am OK with it because I don't profess to being a full veggie as I eat fish and wear leather (I love the smell of it, how weird is that).

I don't eat meat because of the taste/texture and idea of it being flesh not because of the poor little animals although I do enjoy the fact that I am not contributing to the killing of animals on a large scale in some way.

My situation is very complicated, which is why I don't mind people asking questions and never take offence about it. It's a very personal thing ;o)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks for starting this debate though Azz, as I am certainly learning about something I already thought I knew a bit about - but clearly don't!
Originally Posted by Shona
thanks spot, right here is the deal, I will give it a go from monday morning for 7 days, I will do a thread on it letting people know how it goes
I really do recommend that skinny bitch book - I've just finished the men's version and thought it was brilliant from start to finish. I did skip a little bit about where they tell people how to make the transition tho (cos I know all that from detoxing). It is aimed at the American market - but seeing the food industry is world trade nowadays I don't think it matters much, it effects us everywhere.

Shona - don't just dive in, make sure you have recipes to last you the 7 days or you'll just give up. Also you going vegan or just veggie? I've been Vegan now for 3 days (although haven't yet decided it's what I'm going to do).

If anyone else is considering doing it... maybe we can start a sub-section for it
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh Azz...vegan is so hard, such a commitment, I admire anyone who can do it. I had a friend who was vegan, but like fish eating veggies, she was a vegan, except for any sort of chocolate
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I really do recommend that skinny bitch book - I've just finished the men's version and thought it was brilliant from start to finish. I did skip a little bit about where they tell people how to make the transition tho (cos I know all that from detoxing). It is aimed at the American market - but seeing the food industry is world trade nowadays I don't think it matters much, it effects us everywhere.

Shona - don't just dive in, make sure you have recipes to last you the 7 days or you'll just give up. Also you going vegan or just veggie? I've been Vegan now for 3 days (although haven't yet decided it's what I'm going to do).

If anyone else is considering doing it... maybe we can start a sub-section for it
just veggie, I know I wouldnt be able to cope with the full vegan, Im still trying to get into the right frame of mind for veggie for a week
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Well I've been a Vegan for 8 days now, and as much as I'd like to continue with it I don't think I will be

I already have a fairly restricted diet and my energy levels have just dipped too much - more my fault as I'm not a great cook to begin with! But I just find cooking vegan takes so much longer to do as well and while it was fun for a week I can quickly see it beginning to get in the way as I have very little free time as it is.

However reading the Skinny B book has certainly reminded me just how poor quality our meat/animal products really are, and so I will be choosing them more wisely in future if I do start eating meat again. I may see if I can find some vegan cookbooks first - to see if I can make foods that taste reasonably ok in shorter time frames!

If I didn't have a restricted diet to begin with it'd probably be considerably easier. Maybe one day eh!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well I've been a Vegan for 8 days now, and as much as I'd like to continue with it I don't think I will be

I already have a fairly restricted diet and my energy levels have just dipped too much - more my fault as I'm not a great cook to begin with! But I just find cooking vegan takes so much longer to do as well and while it was fun for a week I can quickly see it beginning to get in the way as I have very little free time as it is.

However reading the Skinny B book has certainly reminded me just how poor quality our meat/animal products really are, and so I will be choosing them more wisely in future if I do start eating meat again. I may see if I can find some vegan cookbooks first - to see if I can make foods that taste reasonably ok in shorter time frames!

If I didn't have a restricted diet to begin with it'd probably be considerably easier. Maybe one day eh!
Couldn't you use this as an 'excuse' to improve your cooking skills then?

Also - how is your diet 'more' restricted before going vegan? Can you ease up on some of these restrictions, if you are going to impose more (e.g. the vegan ones)?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

The reason it confuses me, is because most people are veggie because they don't like the way the animals are treated/killed - and I don't understand why they don't extend this feeling to fish!Are fish not as important to those people as say, cows are?

I am also little confused how one can call themselves a veggie,but only apply their convictions to some animals but not others??/ why is it not OK to kill and eat a cow, yet fine to eat fish........from what some reports say, fish suffer trauma when caught and killed??

Regards giving up meat, no never considered it, I love it, but will alwys try to buy Britsh and as free range as possible.

I support our farmers 100%
Page 20 of 25 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 > Last »