Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry, this is all a bit weird....

It reminds me of the conversations I've had which go "we shouldn't eat animals, they should be in the fields where they belong..."

Yup, but if we didn't eat pork, we wouldn't have pigs. If we didn't eat lamb, we wouldn't have fields full of sheep.

These animals wouldn't be kept if we didn't have a reason to do so - we wouldn't just have fields full of cows and sheep for the fun of it.

If we didn't race or show horses, we would have a lot less horses around. There would be a lot less of them as pets.

In a rather horrid way - most of the animals we have in this country are there by our grace, including wild ones. Rightly or wrongly, the growth of the human race has made our animal/livestock/pet population what it is.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't treat animals appallingly; kill them for fur, mistreat them etc, however it's no good saying "all horse racing should be banned" - there are several breeds of horse that may die out, and a sizeable amount of the equine population wouldn't eventually exist if that was the case.

(Just to put you all straight: I have no issue with horse/dog racing, providing animal welfare is good. I am not a vegetarian. I keep animals for meat, and have slaughtered my own food. I hunt, trap and kill vermin. I agree with fox hunting. I don't like circuses, however have no problem with well managed zoos.)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
There you go then, who is wrong? The owner who "uses" their Horse for their entertainment, riding it when they choose, making it stay alone in a field and left unattended when its been ripped to bits, broke its leg or something else, suffering until its found, or the one that has impeccable treatment and the best of everything, falls, injures itself and is treated immediately without hesitation?
Both - Pet owners - just like with all animals, there will be good and bad..The bad owners shouldnt reflect the overall owner ship, and the good owners should not be tarred with the bad...

Them that race their horses may well care for them while still being raced but at one point they will be no longer needed, then there is the figures for them that are failed race horses and destroyed each year....Here we are talking about a sport - pet owner ship we are talking about individuals!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Only Spot has had the decency to answer my post.

I presume you all are animal murderers then?
Yes.

I raise poultry for eggs and meat. We slaughter and eat our surplus cockerels.

We raise and slaughter turkeys at Christmas.

I have no problem with it at all, and wouldn't hesitate to assist with the slaughter of a larger animal for food.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Only Spot has had the decency to answer my post.

I presume you all are animal murderers then?
Whats the point?

The Justification for the fact horses die seems to be that it happens in other situations as well so why does it matter if people get enjoyment out of it in this instance.

I do not like the GN. I will not be eating a Sunday roast tomorrow. Happy?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
You smack of stalker when you do stuff like that.
Excellent, you smack of somebody who doesnt read the thread when you stuff up like you did earlier.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Excellent, you smack of somebody who doesnt read the thread when you stuff up like you did earlier.
Oooooh, yeah you're right I stuffed up and the world ended and turned against me.

Bothered Dawn, really.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Both - Pet owners - just like with all animals, there will be good and bad..The bad owners shouldnt reflect the overall owner ship, and the good owners should not be tarred with the bad...

Them that race their horses may well care for them while still being raced but at one point they will be no longer needed, then there is the figures for them that are failed race horses and destroyed each year....Here we are talking about a sport - pet owner ship we are talking about individuals!
Totally disagree, Im talking about accepted cruelty. So are you saying its acceptable for a Horse to be injured and killed because its not a Race Horse then? But if its a Race Horse, cared for and treated immediately and without hesitation, its cruel?

Is it OK for a person to have a Horse, grow out of it and sell it on?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Sorry, this is all a bit weird....

It reminds me of the conversations I've had which go "we shouldn't eat animals, they should be in the fields where they belong..."

Yup, but if we didn't eat pork, we wouldn't have pigs. If we didn't eat lamb, we wouldn't have fields full of sheep.

These animals wouldn't be kept if we didn't have a reason to do so - we wouldn't just have fields full of cows and sheep for the fun of it.

If we didn't race or show horses, we would have a lot less horses around. There would be a lot less of them as pets.

In a rather horrid way - most of the animals we have in this country are there by our grace, including wild ones. Rightly or wrongly, the growth of the human race has made our animal/livestock/pet population what it is.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't treat animals appallingly; kill them for fur, mistreat them etc, however it's no good saying "all horse racing should be banned" - there are several breeds of horse that may die out, and a sizeable amount of the equine population wouldn't eventually exist if that was the case.

(Just to put you all straight: I have no issue with horse/dog racing, providing animal welfare is good. I am not a vegetarian. I keep animals for meat, and have slaughtered my own food. I hunt, trap and kill vermin. I agree with fox hunting. I don't like circuses, however have no problem with well managed zoos.)
I'm not sure that is the case?

In the same way that people breed dogs whose job is no longer functional the same would happen with these horses.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oooooh, yeah you're right I stuffed up and the world ended and turned against me.

Bothered Dawn, really.
Im delighted you realised.

(You did look pretty daft)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm not sure that is the case?

In the same way that people breed dogs whose job is no longer functional the same would happen with these horses.
Horses are not kept as house pets, no comparison.
Page 20 of 52 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »