View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 11:29 PM
i have it every year as asthmatic, and i get a mild form of flu ever year better that than a full case of the flu which the OH gets and is really bad with every year, so i can handle a wk of feeling a bit p o o p much safer i think......
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 11:57 PM
As some people have already said, it is impossible to get the flu from the flu jab. The injection is full of the inacctivated flu strain ie it's dead. The vaccine changes every year as the flu virus mutates very quickly, it survives much better in cold weather than in warm weather which may be why we're all suffering that bit more this winter.

The latest research suggests that it doesn't actually prevent you from getting the flu, but can prevent you from getting it severely, which is why it's so important for the elderly and those with asthma etc to have it.

I personally haven't had it this year based on this research. I think it's a waste of money to give it to perfectly healthy people when they can contract it anyway post jab (and therefore spread it).

Effectively the flu jab only prevents the flu from killing those that are most vunerable, but not from contracting it in the first place.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Warro View Post
I last had the flu jab 2 years ago and ended up in bed for 4 days with the flu.

My ex MIL had the same thing this year.

I won't be having it again!!
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I have had it for the 1st time this year, i was told it helps to prevent the seriousness of flu, but doesn't prevent you getting it.
So far i haven't had a cold or flu , which for me with this weather is good going.
I would have had a few by now, which i can only put down to the jab.
Although saying that others at work also had the jab, and developed colds etc.
So who really knows. All i do know if i have it next year, i am having it in the opposite arm.
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
I have the flu jab every year since I had pneumonia and pleurisy which was 10 years ago, I have never had flu after but until last year I have felt very ill after having them and my arm is so painful no one can touch it and I can't lay on it in bed for a week. I can't explain how I felt but it wasn't flu (well I dont think so)
But last year and this My arm was not as painful and I didn't feel ill for a week after. not sure if they have changed whats in them.
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
You won't get the flu after having the jab.... and the flu def doesn't last only 4 days!
You may pick up other stuff or get a reaction up to 2 weeks afterwards. This year seems to have had the most reactions...... rashes, sore arms, cough & colds etc.

Full blown flu is awful, I've had pneumonia and it's worse than that in that you get all the aches and pains too.

Unless it's man flu of course
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
As some people have already said, it is impossible to get the flu from the flu jab. The injection is full of the inacctivated flu strain ie it's dead. The vaccine changes every year as the flu virus mutates very quickly, it survives much better in cold weather than in warm weather which may be why we're all suffering that bit more this winter.

The latest research suggests that it doesn't actually prevent you from getting the flu, but can prevent you from getting it severely, which is why it's so important for the elderly and those with asthma etc to have it.

I personally haven't had it this year based on this research. I think it's a waste of money to give it to perfectly healthy people when they can contract it anyway post jab (and therefore spread it).

Effectively the flu jab only prevents the flu from killing those that are most vunerable, but not from contracting it in the first place.
Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking that the two times Patrick has had the Jab.....he must of been on the verge of getting it anyway.

I know the second time he was very ill, and laid up for 2 weeks. Still he isn't having it, so his Doctor is not going to be pleased
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Had the jab every year for the last ten or so, and only once was I ill - but I'd had one of those awful colds that come and go, and come and go.. and then the jab .. and wham.. rough for 4 days or so.
Have also had the pneumonia jab, but that's only every 10 years.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Had the jab every year for the last ten or so, and only once was I ill - but I'd had one of those awful colds that come and go, and come and go.. and then the jab .. and wham.. rough for 4 days or so.
Have also had the pneumonia jab, but that's only every 10 years.
I thought the pneumonia jab was a one off, lasted for life.
Or don't they expect my hubby to live longer than 10 years
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I had my pneumonia one at 45 ( 4 years ago) and my GP told me then every 10 years, with a max of three in a lifetime. Mind you, they might have changed their thinking since then, if there's been more research. That does happen - it happened with the tetanus jab. So I suppose the caveat is, check with your doc!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
ive had the flu jab for about 19 yrs now. i also had the pneumonia one. on the first year i had a reaction felt rough for a couple of days. but since then ive been fine. if i have caught a cold im over it quickly.
when charlie had his jab he went down with flu but as they say keep away from ppl for about 2 weeks. but when u see ppl out n about in shops coughing n spluttering u have no chance.
but yep i for 1 agree with them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2