View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I am an ex smoker and i wouldnt be put off by it. Id think "ooo thats a bit gross, now where's my lighter?"
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:50 PM
My OH showed it to me the other night. TBH, it made me and that was about it. People who smoke have the risks pointed out over and over again all day every day - I don't think there is a single smoker out there who doesn't know that there are a lot of risks in smoking, but they choose to smoke.
I do agree that there is a lot of "it won't happen to me" mentality, especially amongst younger smokers.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:55 PM
My OH has B&H and his pack had a piccie of some rotten teeth..... which didn't look too disimilar to his! So they have a point I guess lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I haven`t smoked for years but the antis do seem a bit hysterical. I watched a very old TV prog on DVD the other night and some people were smoking - that wouldn`t be allowed now! Of course you can show violence or nudity - but smoking? no.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
I am an ex smoker and i wouldnt be put off by it. Id think "ooo thats a bit gross, now where's my lighter?"
That's exactly what I would think. Hardened smokers, and I was one, will pretty much ignore it.......
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I heard one company were going to make stickers you could put on top.
It doesn't bother me as I smoke rollies, I do want to give up but it will be in my own time and not because of the pictures.

I do feel sorry for the people who work on fag counters they have to look at them all
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Well I'm an ex smoker who tends to fall off the wagon every now and again (just when I've had a drink) but you know what? Freedom of choice and all that. Yes, maybe it will put off people starting smoking but it's not like smokers think it's good for them. The warnings have been around for years. It has to be YOUR choice to quit and only when you're good and ready.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I smoke, heard it was coming but not had a packet with it on yet. Will be metal giggie holder here I think.

I don't drink...what so ever (only red Bull or Lemon and lime)

Don't go out dancing..
Don't have girlie nights in or out
Don't have any secret lovers.

So I'm damned if I'm packing up smoking
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 10:05 PM
i couldnt afford to smoke anymore. so glad i quit. saved a fortune.
and i apart from the heart n circulation trouble,
i have lost amost all my teeth on the top. my jaw bone has an infection in it, and perfectly healthy teeth have fallen out, and yep that was smoking.
so i think if the pictures on the cigarette packets put 1 in 50 ppl off smoking i think its a job well done.
but everyones entitled to their choices in life.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I've never ever smoked a cigarette. Not even one. I know that I'd get addicted so have never tried it.

I really wish my mum would give up, I really hate it (no offense to anyone who does smoke) whenever she lights up I worry about my dogs, I splutter myself, she came back from a 2 week holiday to Thailand during which time I'd completely cleaned the house and the next day it stank of cigs again!

However - I don't agree with the pressure. Point out the health problems sure, but the pictures are unnecessary and they wouldn't put me off if I was addicted to something.
I've never put pressure on mum to quit - I can't see how it helps, the more pressure she's under, the more likely she is to smoke so I will provide support when she chooses to quit but until then I'll continue to hold my breath when she lights up!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2