View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Gah! I agree with everyone! I let Max and Murphy interact from the first day Murphy came home, despite the size difference...

We crated Murphy for a while, but they both got distressed when seperated, so they ended up sleeping together....

Of course, we supervised their play, as I was worried about Max hurting Murphy, and their training classes were seperate, as were longer walks.

I have found no detriment to letting them bond, and in fact, don't feel their bond with me or my OH has suffered. Both boys still come for cuddles on the sofas, and enjoy being with us, as opposed to wanting to be with each other the whole time.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the feedback - and so quickly too!

My gut feeling seems to be the same as most of you. I really appreciate the trainer bringing this up as I can see that we could potentially have a big problem on our hands further down the line if we aren't vigilant! And no, it's not a competetive club - she's basing her advice on dogs that she's dealt with that have emotional problems due to depedency on another dog. Her concern is that the little one won't get the opportunity to develop as an individual.

My parter and I work from home and have plenty of time for the dogs. It's no problem for us to walk and train a dog each (entirely separately from each other) for the first 6 months. In fact, given our older dog's high energy levels this will be necessary - the little one couldn't keep up.

The older dog has agility, racing, swimming, obedience. When she's doing these things one of us will do something special with the pup.

For the first two or three weeks I thought I might move my computer out of the office and down into the dining room. That way one of us can have a dog upstairs all day and the other could have one downstairs.

At night they could have separate crates initially - one on each side of our bed. They can move in together (if the wish) when the little one is house trained and sleeping through the night.

We'll start a lifetime routine of always crating the dogs separately for a nap for an hour each say. Just so they're always comfortable with being completely alone for a short while.

Other than that, we'll let them spend as much time together as they want.

How does that sound?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post

How does that sound?
Very sensible

Seriously...best of luck with the youngster
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Well the only advice I can give is based on my two dogs who are probably very different to beagles anyway

Stevie was the perfect dog, we thought him and Jack would get on great... and they did, so far so good!

Jack does seem very dependant on Stevie and this could be the result of the two of them spending so much time together during Jacks very young months. Would I perhaps have separated them a bit more than I did? Yes I think so.

They went for separate walks but now when we take them together Jack as SUCH a firm interest in his big brother that he just follows him around all the time, and seems to kinda... lack his own personality a bit.

I'm not saying one is loved more than the other because even though theyre the same breed theyre still completely different dogs. I'm just saying I think Jack could possibly have benefitted from being away from the older dog a bit more often than we allowed. hope this helps
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I have 2 Cavaliers, and 4 weeks ago, Coco, boxer puppy came into our lives!! apart from a few scraps, caused by Coco!!! they sleep on top of each other, we cuddle puppy when others are asleep, and she has bonded very well with all of us. I think they each have to have quality time with us 1 on 1, and thats what we do. Cavaliers get their walks without Coco, and they enjoy that, but are so excited to see Coco when they return. So I firmly dont believe in seperation!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 11:19 AM
First enjoy your new baby.

Second, Bruce slept with the girls from day one,though I stayed up all night just incase, needn't of worried, they just mothered him.
We did have a strong bond between them and him, especially him and Skye there was a time period where he was only focused on her...not us.
But as he's reached 10 months now he still adores her and she him, but they do work separately.
Congratulations
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Well its a different situation but when I've bred & kept a puppy apart from initial walks & traibing classes they have been together & although the pup had relied a little on their mum they have always been fully bonded with us, & happy to do things apart or together. The mother has also taught manners though did have a bitch we had to watch as she punished the puppy for accidents in the house, though we had not punished her for it.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Well I don't agree with the trainer at all and I think what she suggests sounds quite cruel . I am not any sort of expert only someone who has had more than 3 dogs for most of my life .
I would put them in separate crates at first though even if just for a short time but I would have the crates near each other .
All my dogs have bonded with me and each other no bother at all so I don't think it has to be either / or !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
At night they could have separate crates initially - one on each side of our bed. They can move in together (if the wish) when the little one is house trained and sleeping through the night.
We'll start a lifetime routine of always crating the dogs separately for a nap for an hour each say. Just so they're always comfortable with being completely alone for a short while.
Other than that, we'll let them spend as much time together as they want.
How does that sound?
It sounds like you have it all sorted Our dogs and pups all interact with each other and are a very bonded pack. However, they all get individual time too - exercising, training, working - and we have no problems with them being too focused on each other and not on us.

I can't wait to see piccies of your pup - Beagle pups are adorable
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I can't wait to see piccies of your pup - Beagle pups are adorable
Here's a quick fix to keep you going until Saturday

This was taken a fortnight ago so they were about 5 weeks old at the time. Biggles is the one on his back.

This is a video clip of Beanie and a couple of her littermates at 7 weeks old. So this is perhaps an indication of what we should expect Biggles to be like on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25D7spzqJE
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >