View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Im guessing that Max picked up on your apprehension (sp) down the lead and reacted to it.

Good luck with the training, I agree with Louise keep him on a lead until it is sorted

Gemma
x
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
ok so the behaviourist has been here and she seems very good. She showed me how to do clicker training to sort out his issues on the lead and we did a couple of sessions walking Max outside with the clicker and he did well. She said that I first need to work up to getting him to stop barking and growling at people from a distance while on lead and then once I get to that point then we will have to set up sessions with stooge people and dogs to introduce him to them in a positive environment.

What do you guys think?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works....I always find keeping a diary of all my experiences...helps to look back and see the progress and also aloows you to look back at good days as well as bad.

Good luck
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks Tassle.

She also recommended a change in his diet - I need to look out for any additives in the food before buying them. She said to try this as well and see if it helps with his hyperactivity.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 08:06 AM
She sounds very good.
Good Luck let us know how you get on.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
All sounds very positive, good luck but I don't think I'd keep him on lead all the time. Because of his behavior when you first had him you are apprehensive & this is going down the lead, also a lot of fear agressive dogs see the leadas trapping them & they react in the same way they would if cornered. From what you say he is less worried off lead & doesn't react the same, so try & give himsome freedom especially if he is hyper & used to running it off.
Good idea about the change of food but please introduce the change gradually.
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
All sounds very positive, good luck but I don't think I'd keep him on lead all the time. Because of his behavior when you first had him you are apprehensive & this is going down the lead, also a lot of fear agressive dogs see the leadas trapping them & they react in the same way they would if cornered. From what you say he is less worried off lead & doesn't react the same, so try & give himsome freedom especially if he is hyper & used to running it off.
Good idea about the change of food but please introduce the change gradually.

Yes I will put a little bit at a time mixed with his current food, he is quite a fussy eater so it will have to be gradual.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2