View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I know what you mean Luke. When my friends down the road had a litter of Labs they tried their hardest to get me to have one, but for me it was too soon after Woody. To me he was absolutely perfect in every way and getting another Lab so soon felt wrong as I know I'd expect it to live up to his legacy, which would be unfair on the new pup.

You'll know when you're ready and for now I'd just enjoy the dogs you already have.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I know what you mean Luke. When my friends down the road had a litter of Labs they tried their hardest to get me to have one, but for me it was too soon after Woody. To me he was absolutely perfect in every way and getting another Lab so soon felt wrong as I know I'd expect it to live up to his legacy, which would be unfair on the new pup.

You'll know when you're ready and for now I'd just enjoy the dogs you already have.
They were more or less the mis-givings I had with getting Skye. But I think they have a way making you realise there is no point in comparing as they are different and you will love them for totally different reasons and the thoughts of comparing soon go.

With Storm I loved his cheek, naughtiness, the fact he was really hard going as a youngster and the fact he had an uncanny nack of being there when you needed him.

With Skye, its just she is very playful, the fact she has to greet people by giving them the nearest thing she can get, whatever the size and a load of other little things.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I felt so guilty after we brought Breagh home.

The boys (Skye and Fingal) were such a close pair. They enjoyed the fun of having a puppy at home but sometimes they looked so pissed off with her.

For a while I didn't really bother with Breagh. She was very much Karen's dog and I felt bad for my boys if I gave her too much attention.

They all get on now although Skye and Fingal are still a 'pair' within the three.

I got Fingal 9 years ago - I'd had a Springer before and wasn't sure about whether another Springer was right. I was concerned that I'd always be comparing him to Beau. Although they were very similar in appearance (similar lines) it wasn't long before Fingal's own personality shone through.

Every dog is different and every dog will come and go leaving a little bit of themselves behind for you.

Just wait till you're ready.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I can see your point.
We have been lucky in that respect, as the older one was getting on we over-lapped by getting Skye before Meg went. For us it made the transaction smoother.
However if I had of waited till after Meg had gone, we wouldn't have Skye now, I'd of been the same as you and felt disloyal.
Good luck for the future xxxxxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 07:16 AM
You'll know when you are ready Luke.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 07:50 AM
We waited 13 years to have another dog (Jamie) and still felt disloyal, but although there are similarities between the two dogs, as they share some bloodlines and are/were both daft, Jamie is his own dog and I love him for that It was Deacon I felt most disloyal about, as like Tess, he is Blue Belton and Tan and they looked similiar, but again he is different and he is my baby, despite the problems we had in the beginning!!! Remy, again being a girl I felt a bit worried, but she is different and we all adore her All the same breed, all so different
When the times right you will know and the right dog always has a way of coming into your life
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 07:57 AM
You know you best, Luke - and if you are not ready, you're not. Two years or twenty years - doesn't matter.

Best thing about jacks though is you can go for one so different in looks that its nigh on impossible to compare them.

That's what we did when Spotty died. She was a shorty smooth coat and the apple of my eye.
But, we only had her, so once she died the house was completely empty. That's when we went out to Battersea and got Missy - long legs and rough coated - couldn't compare them at all as far as looks go.

As far as love goes, you can always ask yourself do I love this one as much as the last - and I have done so - but its swiftly followed by the thought, how can you compare an apple to a pear you idiot? Which is honestly what you'd be trying to do. They are each their own dog. Different and both lovable.

Did I think I held back in loving Missy when Spotty was my world? Actually, yes, I think I did. OR, I thought I did - until one day Missy's collar broke and she was free on the road - and anything could have happened to her. I commanded her back inside the house and she did it, and I cried my heart out when we got in and cuddled her for all she was worth.
I found out I love her just as much - but different.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2