View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your comment Patch, didn't know it was on here, I was just about to say that it is more down to handling in my case because I was so useless when I started out. There was no-one to really help me and then someone (supposedly a friend) said she would take him in cos I was making a hash of it. My confidence went down to zero, I'd shake and tremble and of course my boy was a complete nightmare for months.

I got someone to take him in on one occasion so I could see him and was knocked out by how good he looked (he got first), it boosted me up (plus other friends help) cos I didn't want to let him down and I got my act together.

Confidence in handling does show in the dog imo. I asked someone to take him in a couple of months ago so I could see him in action and she said no cos he wouldn't go so well with anyone else. She had a practice and he was good as gold for her too, trouble is her class clashed with mine

As for judges I get the impression that some are far more forgiving than others but all are more tolerant towards the younger dogs, which on the whole is a good thing.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Handling can make a world of difference when an expert handler knows the speed & placing to bring out the best in a dog, but I do agrre its a novice dog &handler together that are the real problem. Have a friend who when he first started out came under me when I was judging & my critique said this dog won in spite of her handler. He went to breed specific classes when he read the comment & learnt a lot & the bitch went on to have a verysuccessful show career.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2