View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I think it is unreasonable to expect that everybody else should lke dogs the way we do. If I had a friend who was afraid of dogs, I'd still welcome him. Probably tie the dog outside or keep her in the basement. We have one friend who is alergic to cats. When she comes to visit, we keep the cats outdoors for a couple days first.

Fear of dogs is irrational, but very real. Just like some women and mice or spiders or other creepy crawlys.

Nav
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Each to their own. Most people have a fear or dislike of something. I don't like spiders and am fearful of them. Yet I will never kill one in the house. Just catch it and put it out.
I have a couple of friends that don't really like dogs and that's fair enough. I'm not going to dump friends I've had for years just because they don't like dogs. How childish would I be. If they come round I just pop the dogs into the kitchen, where's the problem. A lot of the time it does stem back perhaps to something that has happened in their past and If I can help bring them round I will, but I won't be pushy about it. Live and let live. At the end of the day I have a lot of friends who I've met through our dogs and we have that in common. However it's also nice to have friends who have no interest in dogs, give's you something different to talk about for once
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
life and friends would be very boring if we all had the same loves and interests

therefore i would take comments about lack of love for dogs the way i would if someone didnt like sport or music or children - that is - someones opinion (however misguided)

maybe the reason i dont get upset is that those who dont love dogs like me and you are really missing out on a very special presence in their lives

as for putting my dogs out of the room if someone calls???? dont know how i feel like about that tbh - thankfully i havent had to make that decision - yet!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
i think MOST people who own dogs/cats are more caring.. imo

most of my friends love my dogs,,,,, one of my friends hated my dog, wuldnt come near it,,, guess what?? he was no longer my friend after he asked me to not go near him when i had my dog.............
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
My closest friend is "nervous" around dogs, but she has come to know mine, and tolerates them well.

Her son has an elderly staffie, and she adores her, the hairdresser has an old mongrel, and she adores him too.
She's gone from ignoring my three to actually now making a fuss of them.

I must drive her mad when we're out, because I make a beeline for every dog I see, to ask if I can say "hello". She waits to one side while I do it........

I think it's down to the way you were raised. I've known dogs all my life, so they are a big part of mine
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
say "bye bye....you weirdo"
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I have noticed since getting my first GSD family and friends don't come round as much.....

EXcept my friend Debs who adores dogs and my mum

The Dragon in Laws are not so good with dogs and it shows in the relationship they have with my 2. MIL is scared and Zeita plays on it lol shouldn't laugh but its soooo funny, FIL not too bad but comments every time if she so much as scratches him with her paws....

I dont have many friends who call round now the few that do now are dog lovers so thats good, prefer to have my dogs around than people who don't like them

Love me love my dog )
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
you know, It isn't that they everyone should love your dog. But if they come to visit...well like I said, my dog wont bother you, he will lie under the table or something but don't expect me to shut him in another room cause that ain't happening!

Friends...well, how many of your friends can you really trust? My dog comes first! Before any of my "friends" that dislike dogs!as I've said...you don't have to love them, but you do have to accept them in the room...
anyways, if we are talking about colleges and not true friends - why should they even visit if they don't like dogs? You can always visit them instead.
It is like if you go to a foreign country you have to accept local values to some degree - it is the same as when visiting..
Anyways, it is just my opinion and I realize we have different ones
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't have friend's that don't like dog's I only like people who do like dog's I don't dislike spider's, I don't dislike mice unless they are living. The same for Rat's zoundz rat's are nice they'r diffrent to the dead rat's I got for the snake's, I don't have friend's full stop that don't like animal's for animals are nicer than most people and most people like animal's and them's that don't are strange in my eye's.
All children should learn to love animal's then they can be nicer to people.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I know 2 people on my uni course who don't like dogs, one guy says he doesn't dislike them, they just don't like him and he runs when they bark, and the other has never had a dog, never been brought up with them, never been around any, doesn't know anyone with them, so that's why she is afraid of them, so for both really it's just a lack of knowledge.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »