Ok, even more worrying is when one child thinks a Guinea Pig is a badger
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ok, even more worrying is when one child thinks a Guinea Pig is a badger
hahahahahahahahaha!!

We had rabbits as kids, never particularly liked guinea pigs (not that I dislike them, just they don't appeal to me at all) but still knew what they looked like.

I only ever had a cat and a rabbit when I was a kid but I knew the different animals from books and my friends had hamsters and guinea pigs.

I also knew different birds as we had a cockatiel when I was 8 so I knew cockatiels, budgies and african grey parrots
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I remember accompanying a party of 8/9 year olds on a trip to a farm.
When we got there they stood open mouthed at seeing the animals. When they had a chance to hold a rabbit or stroke a lamb they shied away as if it was something really alien.
Remember we live in a semi rural area not some inner city place. Unbelievable
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
.i think all birds that are black are black birds!!!!
Can't really argue with that logic though

I don't understand it myself as surely they come across all sorts of animals in books, even if they never read at home they would read at school.
I always took my kids to petting farms and zoos etc, from a very young age, so probably by the age of 5 they would have been extremely well informed on all kinds of species.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Can't really argue with that logic though

I don't understand it myself as surely they come across all sorts of animals in books, even if they never read at home they would read at school.
I always took my kids to petting farms and zoos etc, from a very young age, so probably by the age of 5 they would have been extremely well informed on all kinds of species.
Thats exactly what I mean!
I saw all sorts of books when I was a kid, and now days, theres all sorts of animals on TV!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Take it one step further, not only do they not know their animals but they don't know their vegetables or their meats! There was something on the news this morning about it and how most of them didn't know bacon came from a pig etc. and the majority couldn't identify vegetables or even know that chips came from potatoes
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Take it one step further, not only do they not know their animals but they don't know their vegetables or their meats! There was something on the news this morning about it and how most of them didn't know bacon came from a pig etc. and the majority couldn't identify vegetables or even know that chips came from potatoes
When my son was little he could identify every vegetable and tell you he didn't like them he was in denial where chips were concerned he just wouldn't accept them as veggies he knew they came from spuds but his logic told him the cooking changed them into chips and chips arn't vegetables
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 07:30 PM
When my son was little he could identify every vegetable and tell you he didn't like them he was in denial where chips were concerned he just wouldn't accept them as veggies he knew they came from spuds but his logic told him the cooking changed them into chips and chips arn't vegetables
See but he could work the logic out of why he didn't believe they were veggies LOL That took more thought than anyone they interviewed today!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
See but he could work the logic out of why he didn't believe they were veggies LOL That took more thought than anyone they interviewed today!
I think his logic was they tasted too good to be veggies He's not much better now and he's 20 next month
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I think his logic was they tasted too good to be veggies He's not much better now and he's 20 next month
LOL, that's what denial does to you
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2