View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Go with your heart hun... I know its really hard, but we got Blossom a week after Lilly got killed and I know my mum never looked back. Do what you feel is right, I know pups are alot of hard work (especially having too _ but there so enjoyable, and they do grow up so quickly at the end of the day! Please keep us posted... Good luck xxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
My dad got our first setter when Mums Dachshund had only been gone 2 weeks, it helped with the grief, something new to focus on... when she died, there was nothing to focus on... it was 13 years too long before I got Jamie.... If you want a puppy, can look after it well, take time to do everything it needs and you can obviously give it a great home Then my advice is... go for it...
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much everyone. Its nice to hear other peoples thoughts. I'm not sure the hesitation is as much to do with losing Jadie as the effort a new pup will need. I spent 9 fabulous years with a weimi ( Josh). He was an absolute headcase. Nothing has ever made me feel extremes of emotion quite like he did. I would be crying with laughter one minute and crying with frustration the next. Having said all that he filled my heart completely. He was jadies soulmate and most definitely worth every second.
Once I had bought Josh home to Jadie and saw how he changed her life I vowed never to have a lone dog again. She was happy before him but ecstatic with him. Thats the reason I got Jack when Joshie died. I really think it gave Jadie those extra couple of years. I think she would have given up without Jack alot sooner.

So now I have a single dog, he seems happy now he's stopped grieving, but he would love another dog. From my point of view, life is suddenly very calm and easy with just a little terrier ( I mean BIG terrier really) but he is constant work being a pattie, but I love that. Another pup, particularly a Lab would initially be work, but long term easier than Jack I'm sure. Its just the chewing and the destructiveness that really bothers me. I had to put Josh in the garage when I went out and it always bothered me. I've never come home to a destroyed house with Jack. He's very capable of mass destruction, he just doesnt.
The house training, the playing, the getting up at night, none of that bothers me.
I have thought about rescuing an adult dog, but I have 2 young children and I would never truely feel comfortable with a strange adult dog around them. I agree its the best option but I need a dog that will be bombproof with my children and the only way I know to make that happen is to get a pup who will grow with them.

I still feel very torn. I have always been a big dog person and particularly gundogs. A black Lab has always been high on my list. I have the perfect one waiting for me at a ridiculously low price ( almost free!!) and I'm not biting their hands off. I must be insane. Its the years of Joshie madness that are putting me off I know, but thats not to say this will be anything like him. I've just got used to leaving food on my worktops again!!

Thanks for listening. I know I'm going on!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
There must be a reason you can't say yes, I say listen to your heart, is the only reason you're considering one of these pups the fact that you helped deliver them, or because they are so handy, if they wern't there would you consider a lab pup, how would you feel if you said no and saw them all go to different homes, for the dogs sake you have to be honest with yourself, I've no doubt if you got one, you'd love it to bits, but would you regret it, maybe it's just to soon after Jadie, you have to do this for you as much as Jack, sorry rambled on a bit, but hope it helps
Well put. Definately think B4. But whatever you decide I wish you all the best
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Well look at it this way, if you could cope with josh, you can cope with a lab.
Once you have committed to another pup and do as much as you can to reduce any destruction etc, i'm sure your'll think hes worth it.
I'm like you seeing 2 together is not the same as 1.
I believe getting tob, gave ben the spice of life back after losing b.
I have said 1 dog in the future but if i'm butally honest i can't see it happening, just because i know what 2 is like.
Your not going on, have they said how long they will keep it open for you.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
As 'mum' to two labs, Molly is 14 months older than Nudge, I'm not sure that you need to worry about a lab pup chewing everything.
Do you crate train? we started to learn with Molly and by the time we had Nudge we seemed to have it sorted.
Molly did chew a few things, nothing of value and not part of the fabric of the house. Nudge must have been sent from Heaven as she chewed nothing if it wasn't what we had given her. ( I admit she does eat socks ).
I would have another lab pup tomorow, no hesitation, and you are quite right, they do help keep each other company. From a very young age I was happy to leave Nudge for short periods of time in her crate, knowing that if she cried Molly would go and lie beside her.

It is always going to be your choice, but for what it's worth imho I can see no reason not to have the pup.

hth x
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
As 'mum' to two labs, Molly is 14 months older than Nudge, I'm not sure that you need to worry about a lab pup chewing everything.
Do you crate train? we started to learn with Molly and by the time we had Nudge we seemed to have it sorted.
Molly did chew a few things, nothing of value and not part of the fabric of the house. Nudge must have been sent from Heaven as she chewed nothing if it wasn't what we had given her. ( I admit she does eat socks ).
I would have another lab pup tomorow, no hesitation, and you are quite right, they do help keep each other company. From a very young age I was happy to leave Nudge for short periods of time in her crate, knowing that if she cried Molly would go and lie beside her.

It is always going to be your choice, but for what it's worth imho I can see no reason not to have the pup.

hth x
Thank you so much for that. I do crate train and at 21 months Jack refuses to give his crate up!. I dont shut him in during the day at all now I just confine him to my big kitchen, but if I dont lock the door at night he howls until I shut it for him. So a new pup will definitely be crate trained.

Black pup on his bag with his legs in the air already!

The most handsome lab in the world Daddy!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Dads a looker!!!
would let him come visit my girls any day
It has to be up to you, but give me one of the others that you don't want!!!!! lol
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:56 PM
My last lab was a master of destruction, I couldn't even begin to count the things lost to chewing but the highlights include a single bed (yes the whole thing) and a lawnmower but I loved him anyway, a more loyal and loving dog you could never find
Anyway, the point, I have a black lab pup of 6 months, she has not been a chewer, we had a couple of minor incidents in the first few weeks but no more than with any other pup. She was crate trained at first but I really think having another doglet for company has been the key. I have 2 pups and yes they are hard work at times but I really wonder why I spent all those years with a single dog when 2 are really much more fun
I think that labs just don't like to be alone and if their people are not around that's when the trouble starts (jmo) but if they have a doggy friend they are less likely to get up to mischief.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Gorgeous pics-oh I am finding them hard to resist and I've not seen them in the flesh
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »