View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 06:45 PM
well at least if it is that the smell will be gone. but i would say if you are that un-happy there find a new vet hun you have to have faith and confidence in your vet and if you dont change. thinking of you hun smell free we hope
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Awww bless, she's bound to be feeling better herself now, and so is everyone else around her by the sounds of it! Lol!

Sometimes, some of these vets can be very matter of fact,I suppose familiarity and all that. To find a vet who is prepared to listen to us, explain back to us, investigate or tell us why they won't for some reason, these are very hard to find. I had one down the road from me, who is in fact a brilliant vet, BUT, he has no what I call, bedside manner if you know what I mean! I do like to ask questions and put my ideas across, but he always went deaf and dumb on me, so I just had to change! If there is a problem in the future, which you really, really feel needs further investigations or at least explainations to yourself, then you're going to have to be more firm if that's the right word with them, coz sometimes, some really good vets, just get on with it and treat us like mushrooms (you know, kept in the dark!)it's just their way, nothing wrong with them, they're probably very good at what they do, but they've seen things so many times through their doors, that they think they know straight away, and I don't think that's always the case! If you're totally not happy with them, then change, I've had to many a time, and I'm not even happy with my current practice, but at least I've found the right one for me amongst the 25 of them there if not more! You'll learn as you go along being a relatively new dog owner, plus of course, people on here know just about everything there is to know about dogs having had the experience most of their lives, so I'm sure they'll be a great help to you along the way.

Now you can put that air freshener away and enjoy your dinner tonight! Lol!
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2007, 07:28 PM
My dog Dax suffered from the same problem... the smell used to tell us that it was time for a visit to the vet! Though sometime they emptied of their own accord. However, our vet said that it was caused by having difficulty going to the toilet and suggested some bran in her food so she wasn't straining. It didn't really make much difference to be honest.

But, since we changed her diet away from dried food to a diet of vegetables/fruit (pureed), mixer/rice and natures menu pouches or their raw version, and a wee bit of brewers yeast and cod liver oil, she has had a lot fewer problems. Plus as a bonus she has lost a bit of weight and her coat is shinier.

I know it was not really what you asked but I wondered whether a change to your dog's diet might help reduce its reoccurance.

As a really gross final thought, I read that some owners learn to empty the glands themselves. Not a route I have taken!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Having just red tartan's post there, it reminded me, raw carrots are very good for keeping glands clean, because they don't digest them, so when they pass them out the other end, it sort of cleans the glands out, as they scrape down the sides! I'm gonna stop there coz I'm just about to eat my supper now!!!! All of my dogs have loved a raw carrot as a treat, especially just after their meals, so see if she will eat one??!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 08:40 PM
i am really glad you saw the vet i thought it was anal glands in my first post but its best to get it confirmed
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 08:40 PM
the best thing to help it is to sprinkle some natural bran on the food .......
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by DogBond View Post

Part of me is certain that he's totally right, and it is just her anal glands that are causing the problem, but even just a cursory examination would've been nice....

x

trust me I have had some dealings infected and ruptured anal glands and it smells like nothing else you will ever smell
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:06 PM
DogBond: we had exactly this problem with Hal. The smell is indescribably fishy and revolting, isn't it. He had to have his anal glands cleared out by the vet. When he reached the age of 6 or so, he suddenly got very poorly, his anus looked like it was prolapsed, but to cut a long story short, we got him onto the BARF diet, took him off kibble and ALL other forms of carbohydrate and from that day until he died we never had a reoccurrence of a prolapsed bum, smell or blocked anal glands.

If you aren't already a BARF-er, I would strongly recommend you convert him to raw. You may find that your vet is anti BARF, but get yourself a copy of Billinghurst's book "Give Your Dog A Bone", read it from cover to cover and join the happy and healthy band of BARF-ers.

Any help or advice you need, please don't hesitate to ask! I know EXACTLY how awful that smell is and my nose twitches in sympathy for you !
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2