View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee2uk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Thank you to all that posted.I have started Star on some capsuals from the £1 shop,so far so good getting them into him as he's not too good at taking meds,the jaws clamp tight lol.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dee2uk View Post
Thank you to all that posted.I have started Star on some capsuals from the £1 shop,so far so good getting them into him as he's not too good at taking meds,the jaws clamp tight lol.
What about trying him on fresh garlic crushed and mixed into something he loves?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Another garlic fan here .

I use it in cooking or sprinkle some on raw food.

I have only once seen a couple of fleas on my dog that became a nuisance (he's three) so I feel there must be something in it.

I have never used, or had to use, powerful flea treatments such as Frontline.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Yup garlic fan here too, isn't it amazing that dogs love it!

For hundreds of years it was used as anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral (ok ok, 'anti' everything) hmmm, anti-freeze?
anyway... and then recently 'science' has proved it.

I had a nasty bladder and kidney infection for a couple weeks and last week I got fed up of the pain when I peed and it started travelling up - my back started to hurt - I am not a fan of doctors
I put a chopped clove into my salad, and the next day felt a million dollars, everything gone. Could be coinsidence... but will try it again next time I feel yuck.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
That is interesting. I always tought that garlic was a big no for dogs (like onion)...

Your dogs didn't have any problems with it?

I would like to try it too...how much should I give my dog (50 kg / 110 pounds) ? We don't have garlic pils here so I would have to give him fresh or dried garlic.

Only one more question Doesn't garlic cause the "smelly breath" (sorry, don't know how you say it)

THX
I have never had any problems giving my dogs garlic either one clove of fresh garlic or a teaspoon of precrushed garlic that you can get from the shops like woolworths or coles
and No I have never smelt it on their breaths
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2007, 07:42 AM
I also use garlic to repel fleas on my girls, dont use frontline anymore

Not seen a flea on my girls since using garlic tablets
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Just one question more...Does garlic also repel ticks? Does anything repel them?

THX
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Not that Im aware of. Ticks are hardy little beggars !

Frontline or similar usually gets rid of them, but I dont know of anything other than Frontline that repels them.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I use garlic on the cats and dogs but the kittens get garlic puree in their food cos the tablets are a bit big for them. So far none of mine have ever had fleas and i have recommended this to several other people. Sometimes the dogs have fresh garlic, other times tablets and sometimes puree mixed in with dinner. It all seems to work the same! x
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2007, 09:15 AM
my lot get garlic and brewers yeast and never had a flea, but I did go up cumbria some time ago and they got a few ticks, although I did get the ticks off straight away so dont know if they would have stayed on the dogs or not.

Mo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >