Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I've also heard phosphorus is very good, although I have not tried it myself

I have found the DAP diffuser helps a lot, it takes off the anxiety, left on 24/7 during the season.

I will say too that although it's not a good idea to "comfort" a dog (as it can make it more scared) there are times when I do just that in the sense that I will bring my dog upstairs, and if she runs to me and presses close to my knee, I will stroke her, talk to her and do whatever I think may help. So I don't always ignore the fear. I do however take on a "jolly" approach rather than a "oh aren't they horrible, poor little girl" approach.

Not sure if that makes sense but hope it does ...

Wys, yes it does. that is exactly what i found myself doing last night. A bit like comforting a frightened child. I hoped my tone of voice and calming strokes would help her.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by ulsterbabe View Post
HI, i have a 4 year old collie who actually takes fits at this time of the year. I currently have a DAP Plug and i also give him a new herbal remedy called Scullcap and Valerian, im not gonna lie and say that hes cured but he's much much better, if hes in the house and hears them he doesnt bother now. You can also get DAP Collars to wear round the dogs neck.

In Northern Ireland our main fire works nite is halloween night and my vet has given me a sedative for him, its better for him to be sedated as the fireworks are to intense and he can sleep through it fit free.
Thanks for the help, I really hope he is ok this year.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I used to love them with the kids although we were a no bang firweork family as my youngest child was scared. i have however seen it from a different perspective since having Fudge. I think that if fireworks were only allowed at organised displays it would be easier on all our pets. At least they last a set amount of time and are normally in open spaces. we have garden displays with HUGE fireworks going off 200 yds from our house........
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The fireworks started early here with a big display at an event on the show ground a few weeks ago. I took advantage of the opportunity and went out in the semi darkness to play ball with Millie .She stood and look at the sky for a moment then rushed around after me as I ignored the fireworks and squeaked her toys and threw them for her.

I am not sure how she will react when the fireworks are nearer but if she shows a willingness to go out to play and ignore them I will take her .

I used this familiarisation technique with Amy when she was a puppy and she was always ok with fireworks until age changed her hearing and canine cognitive dysfunction her ability to relate.

With a dog who is already fearful I would say try and prepare for the event by taking the dog out for a good walk early on/providing a kong or chew toy/putting the radio on to mask the sounds/ignoring the bangs yourself and behaving calmly.

Desensitisation is very useful for many doggy problems and if you can get hold of a good quality tape version of fireworks going off and start using it weeks before the event it may help. The tape is played quietly at first at a level that is tolerated by the dog while playing with the dog and feeding it treats. The sound is gradually increased always maintaining a 'comfortable' level until the dog becomes familiar with the sound.
We did exactly the same with Fudge when she was little and she was great with fireworks, she used to sit at the window and watch. Since the incident last year however(first post) she has become very sound phobic. i will look for a good CD and take it from there. thanks for the advice.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Just got back from my fab local petshop. they stock the whole range of the herbal products so I am now armed with a bottle of Valerian compound.

The assistant was really knowledgable.I have been given a booklet to read, any more questions and I will be back. Thanks everyone.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Percy is currently on Skullcap and Valerian tablets from Dorwest but that is for his fear aggression and I have to say I have noticed a marked improvement in his behaviour so it is definately worth a go!
Becky
That's worth noting, sorry for going off topic but do you know if he will be on them long term? any side effects?

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2