Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Check this link out from Auto Express

As for the parkers used price guide why buy it when you can just look for your model and get the prices and write them down.

Auto Express Report
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
ok, i have a focus, but there is not much more i can offer, bh i would try and take a bloke even if they know nothing about cars, it may stop him from conning you into a higher price etc...

INSIST when yuou take it on getting ROAD tax and FULL tank of fuel!!!! as well as thing like inside mats etc...

Dont be afraid to walk away, he sounds like he needs you more than you need him!

Just be aware that the Drivers side headlights are Very difficult to change if they blow!

Alex
xx
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Take someone who knows what they're talking about with you, or pay the RAC, someone you trust. When I was looking for a new car (new to me) I saw a lovely looking estate parked up with 'for sale' to me it looked very nice and within my price range, my friends hubby is a machanic and said he would come with me, well it frightened me what he found, the engine size badge said 1.8, yet it was advertized as 1.6, half the trim was for the delux version and the front half for the basic, and the silver type trim on the roof stopped half way then turned black, the front half had been resprayed, badly, brand new number plates, there was loads of other things he pointed out, and he hadn't even looked at the engine yet, needless to say his advice was dont touch it with a barge pole, it was soo obviously a cut n shut car,but no to me untill these things had been pointed out, it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, that car could have killed me, I must point out this was a private sale/dealer, not a garage, just pointing out be carefull, pay if you have too for expert advise, and good luck, hope you get the car your after.
Christine
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
Get an HPI check done on it to make sure that it is not an accident repair and that there is no outstanding finance left on it.

Also get either the AA or RAC to do a full inspection on the vehicle. It only cost £165 if your a member and covers vehicle's body, paintwork, interior, visible mechanical and electrical components and equipment. Includes a longer road test, multi-page written report and verbal report.

Believe me it is worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks very much everyone, Leo - the link was great, said the Focus was the best used car.

Unfortunately, as I explained in my first post, I don't know any men that I could take with me and, as I'm unemployed I don't have the money to pay for an AA or RAC check. I think I'll go and have a look at it, if he will offer a warranty then I can have a think about it, if he can't then I'll walk away.

Thanks again for the great advice
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2007, 10:04 PM
i notice there's only 4 months left on the MOT, ask him to re-MOT it now, before you buy it, at least you'll have no MOT worries, come october.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2