Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
From other cross breeds or irresponsibly bred predigree dogs.
So no well bred Pedigree dogs are ever the parents of an `accidental` crossbreed litter eh ?
Sorry but that is just silly
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I've kept dogs, as an adult, for about 25 years and managed to avoid an accidental mating and the few people that I know who have had an unfortunate accident have taken steps to rectify it so I don't see why we can't find similarly responsible people to buy puppies from us who can make their own minds up as to whether it is a necessary step for them to take in order to remain responsible. If I had that sort of doubt about them I probably would not be letting them have a puppy in the first place.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
So no well bred Pedigree dogs are ever the parents of an `accidental` crossbreed litter eh ?
Sorry but that is just silly
I think you need to remind yourself of the context of post 8 :smt001
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Absolutely not. I, and a qualified vet, will decide what is best for MY dog, not the breeder. Should that, by some weird twist of logic, make me irresponsible, I'll live with it.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 11:02 PM
No, never in a thousand years. I am one who does NOT see speying and castration as a 'routine for six months' job, any bitch i have who i see no ideas of having a litter from will be speyed when i see she is mature enough, the time came a bit earlier with Florrie as she was having terrible back problems due to being so low n long..and the vet said if an accident DID happen it could lead to worrying complications. I would never castrate a healthy male, i see little benefits. Do not start to ramble about testicular cancer n such, i've heard it before!
So no, i would not buy from a breeder who had such policies.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I think you need to remind yourself of the context of post 8 :smt001
I think you need to remind yourself that a sterling Pedigree and being bred by a top notch breeder is no guarantee that a dog wont get loose and procreate
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
or irresponsibly bred predigree dogs.
That's why I think it's important that breeders should enforce neutering :smt001 how do they know their pups aren't being breed from and the pups sold without kc reg if they don't do follow up checks?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:35 PM
In my breed no we've such a small gene pool and if we did that the breed would in effect die out, but we do endorse and make sure that health checks are carried out before we allow pet dogs to be breed from.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm not keen on this at all to be honest. What if someone, who is totally responsible in all other ways, who has the perfect home for one of my puppies, has had dogs for years and never had an accidental mating or any of their dogs getting loose and mating other bitches, BUT... they were totally against unnecessary surgery for their dog. Look at the home one of my pups has just lost out on! Now I could make an exception and allow this puppy to go without this clause - but if I can drop it for one puppy buyer then there's no need for it to be there in the first place as, being a responsible breeder, I have ensured that ALL my homes are the best that I could want

Another reason it would do more harm than good in some cases - what about the puppy that goes to a non-showing home, because you didn't think they were going to make the ring, but who then turns from the ugly duckling into the swan? Almost every breeder I know has had that scenario. But oh dear! He's been neutered under MY instructions! His wonderful attributes (which were better than the puppy I kept!) can now never be passed on.

Also, what makes me so much more responsuble than my puppy buyers? I can have an un-neutered dog or bitch - so why can't they? I've already satisfied myself that these people will have the dog for the rest of it's life (barring accidents of course).

Nope - MUCH better to find responsible people in the first place IMO. And people can say 'but what about all the irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to have accidental liltters' - NONE of them have come from my dogs and this I know for a fact So if I can do it - so can (and so DO!) other responsible breeers AND owners

Debs

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't think it should be enforced either for many of the reasons others have stated. I do believe that the neutering of rescues should be enforced though if they haven't already been done prior to rehoming.
Becky
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »