Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Glad to hear she's on the mend I had Dax boostered last month as I heard that dead foxes had been found in Sutton Park in Birmingham & PMs had shown it was parvo. My vet said there seemed to be outbreaks all over the country just at present.
i agree

my vet has had 2 cases in the last few weeks.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm glad Metz is OK now, can't believe Parvo is rearing it's ugly head, thought this was under control years ago.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 07:33 PM
So did I Pam, but I hear of outbreaks up and down the country It's a bit closer to home when it's family though

Thanks for all your replies I'll pass them all on to my daughter when I speak to her next
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the warning - I'm sort of between Dumfries & Edinburgh so useful to know. Both mine are up to date with vaccinations, but wouldn't mind if someone could let me know what the symptoms are just so I can keep an eye out.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Hali, heres a link, it doesn't make for nice reading.
Parvo is an awful disease which shouldn't ever be undersetimated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I hve only seen it in puppies who are more susseptible to it than adult dogs. They become lethergic, go off their food & then have a severe stomach upset which smells different to other upsets. Hopefully others on here will have more guidence for you on what to look for.

Edited to say Oh there Ramble has answered while I was typing
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:55 PM
We are in North Lanarkshire which is a particularly bad area for Parvo but thankfully we haven't seen any cases recently. With all of the fear over vaccinations and more people deciding against it and/or using homeopathic nosodes it was only a matter of time before there was a major outbreak. I remember in the early 80's we had a horrendous outbreak of distemper, we were puting to sleep in the region of 15-20 dogs a day that were too far gone for treatment and treating many others, the outbreak lasted for about 3 weeks before it started to tail off. Thankfully, since then, Vaccinations have kept this at bay, though we still see occasional cases, but I would imagine it's only a matter of time before we see an other outbreak of this size. Parvo is a horrible illness but it is far more treatable than Distemper.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I do agree Susan. I've seen dogs die from both illnesses and they will live with me for a long time

I've always debated whether to have my dogs vaccinated yearly or not. I'm just thankful that I listen to my vet
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hali, heres a link, it doesn't make for nice reading.
Parvo is an awful disease which shouldn't ever be undersetimated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus
Thanks Ramble, you're right, not nice reading. I'm now very glad that both mine are vaccinated yearly.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Sorry to hear of Metz, glad shes pulling through, cuddles to her from us please.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >