Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by ELISSA View Post
Hi

Thanks For Your Reply, Am Hoping The House Move Will Be 2 Weeks So Fingers Crossed Everything Should Be Ok, Will Put Some Pics On Soon, Cant Wait To Get Him Home!!

Ive Always Had Cats So Dogs Are Pretty New To Me I Am Trying To Do As Much Research As I Can Before He Comes Home, Another Thing Which Was Bothering Me Is Anxiety Seperation There Will Be Some Days When He Is Left On His Own Is This Going To Cause Too Much Stress??
If Buster is taught from a very young age that being left alone does not mean that you have abandoned him, then being left for a while shouldn't be a problem.

There are often times when I have to leave Max on his own and I knew this when I got him as a puppy. I began his training very young, I wanted him to learn that when I left, I was always going to come back.

Begin the training by leaving Buster in a seperate room for a small amount of time (5 -10 minutes is fine). If he howls or cries, ignore him and do not enter the room until he stops. He will need to learn that howling will not get him your attention. When he stops howling, or when the amount of time has passed, allow Buster back in with you and praise him. Do this several times for the first week (or longer if you feel you need it) gradually increasing the amount of time you spend apart. When you feel that this is going well, you can step up a bit by leaving the house, just going to sit in the car will be enough. Same procedure as before, gradually increasing the amount of time you spend apart. If you feel that it is too much, do not be afraid to slow down or take a step back and do not expect miracles . The most important thing is that Buster feels comfortable with being left alone because he knows that you will return. And also the most important thing (and I cannot stress this enough) ignore any howling or crying as he will think that he can do this whenever he is alone (whether you have gone out, in the shower or gone to bed) and you will come running (a bit like a naughty child really )

Hope everything goes ok with Buster must let us have some piccies soon
ELISSA
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
hi

Thanks for that advice, it will come in very useful!!, i think im the one that will need the training as im going to find it very hard to ignore the howling and crying

He wont be left on his own everyday as either myself or my boyfriend can take him to work with us, but there will be times when he will have to get used to his own company.

We have a crate for him also, which i had my doubts about as looks like a cage, but alot of people seem to recommend them, we will have to see how things go

Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I know what you mean I found it so hard to ignore Max when he cried I felt like the wicked witch of the west, or is it the east? Well whichever you get what I mean

I have to say I was very lucky with him, the first night we got him I thought he would be terrible as he sleeps in the kitchen but I didn't hear a peep out of him! I went down to check once because I thought the cat had killed him

I have never used a crate myself but I know lots of people recommend them so hopefully someone else can give you some advice on those Also make sure Buster has lots of different toys to keep him occupied. Give him something to get his little puppy teeth into
ELISSA
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
here`s a couple of pics of our buster for you,

:smt001
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
gorgeous try posting them in the 'Your Pictures' section, you will probably get more response there
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Hello Elissa
A w
arm welcome to Dogsey, the friendly site for doglovers everywhere.
We are delighted to have you with us,
If you need help with posting pictures,
or with anything on Dogsey, please
Click here

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2007, 11:05 AM