Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 12:04 PM
you're very right DM
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 09:51 PM
its very sad watching all about it i will never forget when i saw schindlers list i cried for hours. i think there should be some kind of silence
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Definitely agree Katy! There should be!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
....and it is worth remembering that we too can categorise people and thus tend to treat them as a lesser species - whatever group it is, jews, arabs, queers, immigrants, asylum seekers, druggies, gypsies, etc etc. That's how it started with Hitler - he blamed the poor economic state of Germany on the Jews and they became convenient whipping boys
sadly it is still happening, nothing changes, the world is still full of prejudice 60 years later
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 12:54 AM
I made a point of setting aside a bit of time to watch the rememberance that they held and to listen and learn more. I think it is important for younger generations to remember what happened.

DM, queers?...I'm thinking if you are trying to think of gay people in a respectfull manner, queers would not be the right word...lol...not telling you off, just an observation! How come 'druggies' fall into the same catergory?!

I agree Minnihaha, 60 years on and it seems that people still have alot to learn, it's a terrible shame what people do to each other because they are different.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Mys - I was being ironic - sorry it didn't come over. I was imagining an eyeball-popping bigot using that word, and many others I didn't dare put in the list.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I felt incredibly sad watching this on telly and cried as I too have been affected by Hitlers atrocities, and my mother and her family are German.

My Opa (German Grandfather) was sent to fight at the Russian front at the age of 17 and was shot through the throat and the bullet came out in his upper back and to the day he died (at the age of 74, 2 years ago) had schrapnel embedded in his spine. This caused him to be classed as disabled for his life and was on medication for the remainder of his life and was constantly in pain.

My Opa despised Hitler and what he stood for and what he did but aged 17 he had no choice but to do his time in the German Army.

My Opa was a wonderful man, who adored life and his family and my world shattered when this wonderful man was taken away from me, and 12 months later I lost my Oma to cancer. My Oma also had lost all her brothers in the war.

I know this is nothing in comparison for the people that lost whole families in the camps, but it is worth remembering that the German people can be prejudiced against too just because they are German. Not all the people that were forced and brainwashed to fight for Hitler agreed with what he did, in fact, quite the contrary.

I don't know if I have worded my post right and hope I have not caused any offence.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
You said that perfectly. Some very good points, I understand exactly what you were getting at. I also know ppl who were forced to do what they did, and they hated Hitler.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie
I know this is nothing in comparison for the people that lost whole families in the camps, but it is worth remembering that the German people can be prejudiced against too just because they are German. Not all the people that were forced and brainwashed to fight for Hitler agreed with what he did, in fact, quite the contrary.
I don't know if I have worded my post right and hope I have not caused any offence.
Steph I think it is often forgotten how many German people also died in the camps, or were shot for opposing Hitler. And the countless numbers of innocent women and children killed when German cities were bombed to the ground. There are good and bad in every race and all war is wrong, though I have to concede occasionally the only option Soldiers have no choice where they are sent just like our army today in Iraq, and that is even more so when conscripted because most would not choose to be in the army at all . I feel just as sad for all the people
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2