View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Just as a side note regarding science plan, when we fostered Ruby (one of Willows pups) for a few weeks she was on that.

When she came to us I cooked up some pet mince and threw in some Dr johns and chucked in some field and trial, she wolfed it down and the owner stood there amazed and said she has never eaten like that in a long time.

She then informed she was inclined to have the squits with a change of food....she did... but after a few days all was cushty and she was sold on to her new owners a ravenously devouring Dr Johns.

Morale of the story, throw as much money as you like at food for your dog, but sometiems it just comes down to quality food at bargain prices that does the trick.

Edit- beer and typing doth not mixeth
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
hi dobie p@h do there own brand for large breeds my mums st bernard is on it and it has made a big diffrence for him you could try that it is £25.00 for 15kg bag down here.
bonio
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-03-2007, 12:40 AM
When I got my cocker she was on wafcol chicken complete. I was going to change her to burns anyway but her previous owners gave me a big bag of her wafcol so I used that first. When she went to the toilet the smell was horrendous and she used to do loads of it. Burns really suits her, a lot less waste and not much smell. At the moment she is loving it too. I get it from a local pet shop and I like supporting them rather than the big chain stores so win all round.

Don't forget to look at how much you need to feed because the differences can be quite a lot so factor that into the prices. Lucy has quite a bit less Burns than she did wafcol per day.

I agree on bakers with all those colours, not good.

Hope you find something that suits your dog and purse!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Wainwrights and PAH own are excellent quality foods and good prices.
Or another good for sensitive tums and very cheap is Chappie complete. Thats only £12 something a large sack.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Just remember the name of one food we used and were impressed with particularly as it gave a particularly good coat and helped our old Collies joints.

Gilpa Kennel with green lipped mussel extract.

Contains-New Zealand green-lipped mussel extract and ayurvedic herbs (including frankincense and myrrh) to help promote joint health.

http://www.gilpa.co.uk/pdfs/Kennel_d..._16feb2007.pdf

Its slightly lower in protein which some prefer for a Dobermans diet particulary when they are still growing as they grow fast and often get joint problems if fed too higher a protein diet, its fine to have high protein as puppies but we prefer a lower protein diet, particularly as some studies may suggest renal problems later on in life due to excessively high protein diets.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2