View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree whole heartedly with what you say about not judgeing the book by the cover. ie big house, small house ect
As I said in the begining of this thread I was only enquireing if any of you do home checks. I did not expect anyone to defend themselfs or explain why they didn't.
I do understand, as I said that distance could be a problem that's where a "net work" ie breeders helping out other breeders or people that have already bought a pup from you.

Yes rescues do have home checks and possibly some people would not get dogs that breeders would sell to. I think this is for a very diffrent reason.
A dog that has already been rehomed for whatever reason needs a loving secure enviroment. They have been rejected for whatever reason. Keep in mind people do not always tell the truth about why they are re homeing a dog.
I have had a rescue dog and it was clear he had been ill treated again that's another story.
but rescues have to be extra sure that they have the right "match" for both person and dog. You dont want it having to get moved again and again.
GBT you call me an idealist but if a problem is fixed at sourse then it is no longer a problem.
I wonder why there are so many rescues?? Obviously not everyone has good 6th sences.
It was refreshing to see someone actually saying that they would do a home check before letting a pup go.
Obvously if you are going to do a home check you would take a dog with you. As you say you can tell by the way people react and the way the dog is as well.
An idealist I may be, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone could work together?
In that I mean breeder to breeder, voulentiers (sorry if you haven't already guessed I cant spell LOL) get a good network. You may be surprised by the responce you would get.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by finnigan31
When someone comes to a rescue to get a dog rather than go out to buy a puppy that says something in itself, rescues do ask the questions that will show how sincere people are and if they understand what taking on a "rescue dog "really means, we then home check and ask all the same questions again to see if the answers differ, we will do spot checks, people know this and while I accept nothing is fool proof, rescues do take more care in who they place dogs with, RESCUES DO NOT PROFIT FROM DOGS BREEDERS DO!

yvonne
Your first point about someone going to rescue rather than buy is not ALWAYS correct IMO......people who buy a dog 'the right way' as in researching the breed and the breeder take the time and care into getting a dog...I've known many people who have gone to a rescue centre on a whim or just to look and come away with a dog.It doesn't necessarily mean they care any more than someone who buys a pup...IME its often because they can't or won't pay out for a pup.
I know a person who went to a local rescue...collected a dog with out any checks.The dog is nervous and snappy and has been placed with a family with young children.The family are unsuitable for the dog since they have no idea how to treat ANY dog...let alone a nervous one .I know rescues don't make a profit ...but neither do responsible breeders to any huge degree....only puppy farmers and BYB.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I am not stupid i realise there are people who come to Rescues in hoping to get a cheap dog/pup but these people usually don`t have an understanding of the "Rescue" process and unlikely to agree to HC etc so lets not get into that one
Just like all Breeders are not the same nor is Rescues and it saddens me that both cannot work together to benefit the dog

yvonne[/quote]

please read the full post Archer, and when people come to boxer rescue they also know the breed and if they don`t they are required to research the breed before a dog is placed with them, we would never give a dog to just anyone who walks in off the street,

I am speaking from the experiences Ive had, I can not speak for all rescues
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Archer, you are so wrong there!!!!

People who go to a breed rescue, not a centre. think long and hard about it first. You only have the persons word how a dog is.
However most people that go to breed rescues have had that breed before and know what they are dealing with.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:34 PM
I do a lot of checking, firstly by e-mail, I get the 'hopeful' new owners to fill out my questionaire, then I ask for their home address with postal code, check out if the surrounding area is as they have described.....I use Multi-map arial search, which shows the address and surrounding area. I ask for details on vets they are registered with too and check with them. Also I would expect a lot of contact back either by e-mail, phone..........and at least 2 visits before it's time for pups to go.........unless of course they live miles and miles away.

But, if when they come to visit, they don't seem comfortable with any of my dogs, not just pups, or if they are constantly brushing hair off their clothes..........then I say 'sorry'

So far I have been very lucky, every one of my past 5 litters have all gone to excellent homes and are still in touch, even 4 years on!
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Crazycockers, You sound brilliant!!!!!

:smt049
CBT
Dogsey Senior

19-01-2005, 04:46 PM
A vet reference means absolutely nothing, and is not a good means of deciding someones suitability as an owner. Some people only take their dog to the vets to have it routinely jabbed and checked up, that same dog could be shut in the house all day long with no food or stimulation, a vet wouldnt know that would he? especially if it is a busy practice with many people making appointments every day of the week. Since vets would charge for a letter of recommendation, it is in their interests to produce them for anyone who is willing to pay for one, unless you have a fab vet like mine, he would do me one for free if I wanted, he is one of the old school vets where the animals come before the profit, but the point is that its not a good idea to take a vets ref as a sole method of checking, using your judgement is the best way to find the right home for your dog.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I was refering to general rescue centres...didn't realise we were talking about breed rescue...breed rescue is a completely different thing IMO
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
A vet reference means absolutely nothing, and is not a good means of deciding someones suitability as an owner. not a good idea to take a vets ref as a sole method of checking, using your judgement is the best way to find the right home for your dog.

I meant as well as judging for yourself. a vets reference should give a very good indication of how people care for thier pets, if someone who had dogs in the past but could`nt prove vetrinary care would breeders sell them a pup?

If the person had`nt ever owned a dog of thier own they should be vetted much more, asked if they have arranged vetrinary care of thier puppy, do they know how much vets bills are, what would they do if the could`nt afford vet care in the future, would they just not bother trying to get help or would they approach relative charities for help? Do breeders ask hese qs?
If for any reason the people who rescue dogs cannot keep the dog it is rehomed again through the rescue, Very few breeders will do that unless it benefits them i.e can be bred, most are not interested, so please as much as we would like to believe all breeders only want whats best sadly this is very far from the truth
yvonne
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by olive
In an ideal world that is what would happen. Rescues can probably do it because they only rehome within a certain area, and often have volunteers to help out. In my breed there are so few breeders out there, and none locally to me that there was little chance of a breeder managing a home check. Instead he invited us down to his house for a good Q&A sesssion , and we had plenty of phone contact. He also stressed that any problems we call him and he would have Olive back if needs be. He also invites potential owners along to Breed Days.

Edited to add: We probably wouldn't pass a homecheck from a rescue, we live in a tiny one bedroom house (Olive sleeps in our room), and we have the tiniest garden on the planet with only a four foot fence onto a main road .
we are very lucky at boxer welfare scotland that we can home-check but as for only covering a certain area our AREA COVERS ALL SCOTLAND I would not call this a small task and yes we are all volunteers but not all have the same breed of dog I HAVE FOUND THAT GENUINE DOG LOVERS ARE WILLING TO HELP OUT ANYONE REGARDLESS OF THE BREED just to make sure that the dog is going to be happy in its new home as for where people live and what type of flooring they have to be honest this is not being in the least bit realistic when it comes to someone that really can offer a fantastic home material items do not come into it at all I have been working in rescue for a number of years now and some of the people that phone looking for a dog CAN SOUND REALLY NICE on the phone and tell you what you want to know but by doing a home visit things can be totally opposite I have visited only to find a dog there that THEY DID NOT MENTIOn AND WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT WAS TOLD OH WE WILL JUST PUT THAT ONE TO SLEEP IF WE GET A YOUNGER DOG why cant breeders go along these lines and involve other people if they love dogs Iam sure that they will help out it must be so much easier for a breeder to know who is in the areas required as they mostly all meet up at shows and know whos who in rescue I have had to advertise for help AND I HAVE GOT IT there are thankfully some fantastic people around that will give up their time to help THANK GOD i dont find it surprising that breeders wont help after finding out that a club that has 100s of members ie: scottish boxer club did not have ONE person willing to help in any way at all it makes me so cross if you are one of these members and did not know that help was needed I APOLOGISE BUT YOUR COMMITTEE ALL KNEW and said that no one could or would help they are even telling people who phone there is NO RESCUE FOR BOXERS IN SCOTLAND and go to england do they not realise some of these people are at their wits end and circumstances are sometimes there that they have to give up a dog that they really do care for and it makes matters worse if there is no-one to turn to I KNOW THAT i am like a bad smell to these breeders /club members but as long as I CAN i will do what I CAN TO HELP DOGS THAT ARE IN NEED AND WHEN THE FULL STORY COMES OUT ABOUT THE CLUB THE S--T WILL REALLY HIT THE FAN
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »