Our sister sites
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
good post azz
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 11:07 PM
As I've said the KC do their best, and a KC Affix is NOT a guarentee of a good breeder.

Oooops, spot of finger trouble
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
As I've said the KC do their best, and a KC Affix is NOT a guarentee of a good breeder. That is down to prespective puppy buyer to do their homework, however given the choice between a KC registered dog, and one registered with the DLRC, I know which one would set the alarm bells ringing.
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2004, 12:10 AM
firstly the kennel clubs breed standards are set by the breed clubs, so the bulldog of today is what the breed club finds acceptable, -- the kc has to monitor them, i agree that the kc helps keep the breeds as the standards ask------by the registering and pedigrees etc-anything not kc reg could infact have anything as its parents, plus in the uk unrecognised breeds cant have most of the health tests done-eg hipscoring, so not only are unregistered dogs subject to debate as to there parentage-but theyll also not be hipscored and such, ---- the kennel club registry is open to abuse but they are trying to get around this by having a new scheme in which your dogs will have dna done and this has to tie in with the pedigree of the dog, a step forward id say in stopping anyone breeding just anything and calling it pedigree--by this i dont mean your victorian bulldog as i can see what it is your doing, im meaning folk that breed say x breeds and class them as dobes-rotts etc, it would put an end to this hopefully,
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Not to mention good working ability, as well as looks. May be low down on some peoples list but people looking for a working dog, wants to know that the dog is capable of working.

Helen
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Kinzy, the question was, What makes a good breeder? So far you have avoided saying what in your opinion, makes a good breeder. You know what I think, so I when you're quite finished tearing my post to shreds, how about answering the question.

By the way, I stand by every word I wrote.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Dizzy,my dogs arent recognized by the KC but they have been hip scored, you,ll find any dog can be hip scored, look on my website the scores are there for everyone to see!!!
thanks kinzy
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

06-05-2004, 08:45 AM
what makes a good breeder :my opinion
1.one who breeds with all expectations of the pups being better than the parents
2.one who can look at pedigrees and minimize faults in lines.
3.one who will offer advice to future owners
4. one who will screen prospective owners and ask questions.
5.one who will accept pups they bred back at any time.
6.one who will give at least a 12month genetic free guarantee.
7. one who does health checks on there dogs before breeding.
8. one who has the satisfaction of seeing a happy family with there pup knowing you have done everything possible that there pup will lead a healthy life.
9. knowing your pup has been placed in to the right family.
10.one who always looks for faults in there lines to be corrected, no matter how minor.

again just my opinion, again i have not had a litter of pups yet, expecting one this year,have done all my homework though, with reading books, speaking with the top breeders in the UK with bull breeds
thanks kinzy
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Fantastic Kinzy, we agree on practically everything. However as you gain more experience, and your breeding programme develops, you will find that there are no guarantees in dog breeding. So you most certainly cannot give new puppy buyers any such thing. You will be in court being sued before you can say 'genetic guarantee'. In fact I would go so far as to say, you ought to stress the point to puppy buyers, that you have done everything humanly possible to try to ensure that their puppy is free from genetic health problems. But there are no guarantees

Mind you, I have only bred one litter, but I waited 30 years to do it :smt047
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

06-05-2004, 10:44 AM
hi nursey, glad we agree .my interpretation of the genetic guarantee would bw if found to have one i would take the pup and give a full re-fund or replacement pup from next litter....I agree there is no guarantee on breeding, i just feel if you,ve done everything in your power to ensure one, then hats off to the breeder!!! i am in the middle of writing up some guarantees myself at the moment and some agreements to the effect of spaying/neutering healthy pups which i personally would not like bred for some reasons to go to pet homes..once done i,ll post it to you if you want??i have spent 1,000s on my dogs and not had a litter yet...lol..and some of the pups will be placed with friends for nothing for future use in my program....
thanks kinzy
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >