View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 05:20 PM
What modem you got it might have a firewall on that.

The anti virus you got is very good so is the window washer i use both of them.

I don't think for one minute that your pc has been hacked this has been done by someone just trying differant usernames and passwords on ebay.

I'll give you an example MSN on that your user name is your e mail so they got your user name already all they have to do is guess your password.

What you say has happened can all be done on e bay once they got your user/ password. If you got control back take a note of the e mail addy (that they changed it to)you might be able to get user info from the supplier of the address.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me in the last week on ebay. I've got all the spyware etc fitted and never give my password out. Its worrying how they get hold of your information. I've emailed all the correspondence I have had with people who have supposedly bought things from me and ebay are now investigating.

I've only ever bought something off there once, but its really put me off.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Have you replied to any emails that came from eBay that involved you signing in? Often they are not from eBay at all and what you inadvertantly do is tell them your password.

Is your eBay account back to normal now? If not try:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confide...t-theft.html#3
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 05:37 PM
i would agree however he said stuff has been payed for using his paypal acount, i always have to log in to my paypal account to spend any money with it which to me indictates they have his password for this also.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron View Post
i would agree however he said stuff has been payed for using his paypal acount, i always have to log in to my paypal account to spend any money with it which to me indictates they have his password for this also.
Yes it does but still dosen't mean that they have been hacked anyone can access paypal site and login it's the same as e bay.

Maybe e bay has been hacked and they got the info that way since e bay & pay pal are ownwed by the same ppl it's not beyond the relems of posibility.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 06:36 PM
i highly doubt it esp as his passwords are different

its up to them to take the risk of not doing anything, personally i wouldnt
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Im no expert with puters,but each time i've bought something from Ebay or simply logged onto my account-afterwards i always delete my temporary internet files so no info can be taken away should someone be able to hack into my laptop.

Im curious to know how someone has stolen and changed your identity so will be watching this thread with intrest.
Thanks for that tip Steve, coz my o/h just bid for something on eBay using his account, and I have never, ever used it on this pc, so I'm going to delete my files right now then!!

This must be awful for you shaza, scarey!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 06:54 PM
u can jsut set ie and firefox to delete temp files when u clsoe the window.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron View Post
No they didn't get into my paypal account, they sold something on ebay and ebay debited my paypal account to pay for the advert (which I must add ebay did refund).

What do you suggest I put on my computer for safety reason other than what I have allready got (sorry - just a mere woman who hasn't got a clue about computers.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Yes it does but still dosen't mean that they have been hacked anyone can access paypal site and login it's the same as e bay.

Maybe e bay has been hacked and they got the info that way since e bay & pay pal are ownwed by the same ppl it's not beyond the relems of posibility.
I was assured by ebay that paypal account details were held on a completely different server, on a safe and secure site!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >