View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 07:46 PM
All of mine are perfectly fine with thunderstorms, which is rather fortunate as we were caught in one today We had taken them for a walk down to the river when a huge storm started - neither the thunder nor the lightning bothered them at all. We were absolutely soaked to the skin but the dogs loved it

Paul - I agree that our pets look to us to see how they should react in an unfamiliar situation. If we remain calm then they can see there is nothing to worry about - obviously this doesn't work for every dogs in all situations but I feel it does for the majority
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2006, 07:55 PM
The 4 year old recently rescued collie, who is normally quite highly strung, seems just a little uneasy and looks at me from time to time for some indication on how to behave. I deliberatley do not react in any way and I suspect because of this she remains calm throughout.
Perhaps this points to a principle in animal behaviour management - If the pack leader shows no fear there is nothing to worry about.
Any other views ?
I have always done the same with all of mine. Deef has never yet shown fear of anything in his life, as a pup he would look at me almost like "what's that?" and I used to ignore him so now nothing bothers him. Kelly was treated the same and so was Sol and I didn't have any problems with thunder or fireworks until a couple of years ago. My neighbours pooled their resources and had a HUGE firework party and every one was a banger, some so loud the windows shook, for 2 1/2 hours! The result was that kelly just couldn't cope and eventually hid in a corner and wet himself. He has always been a sensitive dog and a bit of a worrier and it was just too much for him to cope with. He is the same with thunderstorms too now I give him liquid valerian now and during firework season the tablets too, he still doesn't like the noise but it does stop him getting stressed about it all and wetting himself. Sol had to deal with a huge thunderstorm when I was camping (in a tent) at Shrewsbury last year and he was only a baby, I think he woke up once when there was a close strike and the ground shook, other than that he slept through it all bless him, deef still doesn't care
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Pickles is also a shaker and hates thunder storms or any loud noise really. But only if he's indoors? Outside admittedly he's not keen, but he doesn't go into panic mode!

He definitely looks to me for a reaction and when he doesn't get one he eventually settles, albeit right next to me!
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Minihaha

Jenna will be 10 in September. Her hearing is fine. On Saturday we had a storm but she was panting before I could even hear the thunder .

I own boarding kennels so I am always down in the kennels looking after the boarders during a storm and in the past she has been fast asleep when I have returned. A few weeks ago when I came back from the kennels she was missing and found her under the duvet in our bedroom having jumped the dog gate. No one in the house is afraid of thunder and Sage just sleeps through so she isn't picking up the fear from anyone in the house.

I don't treat her any differently when she is showing her fear so I am hopeful she may grow out of it, or maybe it is a side effect of her hypothyroidism as fear is one of the symptoms.

Sue
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 12:59 AM
xenieb whos 5 has always been funny when the thunder starts she goes mad she runs about all excited + she also then tireds to hide behind you when it loud however saying that if she needs the toilet she goes outside fine like nothing is going on even when its loud + the other 2 who are both under 2 just sleep they dont seem to be interested
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi,
Im really lucky as none of my 3 dogs or my cat are bothered by it in the least, in fact Amy would quite happily sit in the garden during a storm if i let her
Rocky just doesnt do rain so he wont go out but other than that no problems.
My budgie though...that goes mad during a storm & makes loads of noise while flapping about so ive started covering him up to try calming him down

sarah
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Erm, my two just gave me strange looks when I was seen running under the bed to hide from the thunderstorms
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2