View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Star does not like black dogs, she is scared of them but she does get on with rotties and dobes Maybe its the brown markings breaking the face up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 12:43 PM
it is interesting carole, my other dogs (BC and X breed) are largely black, but have white markings on them...Ember was completely black...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 12:44 PM
One of my previous gsd's was also a black lab hater. She wasn't a particularly friendly dog anyway, but if she ever saw a black lab, she would go ballistic and try to get at it, and I'd had her from a puppy she was not a rescue, so there was no way she was ever attacked by one. Very interesting thread this
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Ahh, we have two black labs in our area, both really friendly but Roxy wont really go near them, just does her little pig squeel thing when they come over to sniff her?
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I go to a local park on the weekends, and about 12 regular dog owners with their dogs of all shapes and sizes (and colours) meet up about 8 am and we all go for a walk round for about an hour. My dog Abby is a black belgium shepherd, and has no problems from any of the others. Nor does one of the other dogs, a black lab.
Regards the race issue, because a new mosque has been built nearby, in the last few years, lots of moslems have moved into the area. My dog doesnt seem to worry about race or creed, but I notice many moslems cross the road when they see me with Abby, and perhaps some dogs sense the waryness of these people. I did once have an elderly indian lady who had two small children with her, probably grandchildren, stop and make a fuss of Abby, and encouraged the children to stroke her, but that was all. I thought that was cool, as Abby was nearly as big as her.
Jax2Terrors
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Muslims believe dogs to be unclean and would feel the need to ritually cleanse before prayer if they or their clothing is touched by dog saliva so they avoid contact with your dog when they are going to the Mosque.
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes I realise this. In fact we have a lovely muslim lady living next door to us, and she explained this to me. but I was making the point that possibly some dogs sense the reluctance of these people to mix with them, and resent it. Incidentally, our muslim neighbour, although she explains that her aversion to dogs is due to her upbringing, always makes a good effort to be friendly to Abby, (although she trys to avoid touching her)
Whoops, I think I'm going off the thread!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 11:49 AM
You could be right there Ray, as I'm a great believer in dogs seeing our aura around us, and obviously if muslims don't like dogs, then they won't have the same colours arraying around them that us dog lovers do? Just a thought? Don't know if "arraying" is a word either, but you know what I mean
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I live in a shared house (only til saturday though yay!) with a Indian lady amongst other people and she screams everytime she see's Loki I thought she was scared and tried to avoid her having to be around Loki but turns out she doesnt believe dogs should be in the house we were there first and the agency explained if they didnt like it she shouldnt move in as we were there first so to cause trouble she makes a big issue of it (and leaves doors and gates open )despite all this Loki still would love to play with and fuss her although is very good at not going over to her now bless him.
So difference of race and dislike of him make no difference to Loki he just loves everyone, oh and he loves my dads black lab and labx too!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I wish some dogs would find my black dog a threat and tell him to bog off ... He's that dense and has no manners that he will be over the top with them, which is why I'm very careful about having him off lead without a toy, as all it takes is for him to run over to a dog that is frightened of him as he doesnt 'ask' to say hello, he just assumes that every dog will want it's bits sniffed. Thick animal. Which is why I only let dogs that will tell him to buzz off say hello. He still tries to say hi though What a dumbo.

I have seen a few dogs round that will try and take him on, in fact it seems all the JRT's in my area want to take him on ! But they leave the golden well alone, but that could be the fact that my golden is very good at reading body language and will not look back at an agressive dog, Dumb Casper will keep staring at thinking it will change it's mind. Bless him..
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >