Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Rachie
Hiya

Hes called Charlie and I had him when he was about 8 weeks old. We did the 'puppy pad' training and for about 6 months he was great. My ex moved in with us when he was about 18months old with his male staffie and all hell broke lose!! (me and Charlie live alone now, thankfully!!) but he can't seem to break the habit
Rachie .. if you change a dog's routine it can have a detrimental effect. Maybe Charlie felt insecure and challenged by your ex and the male Staffie in his domaine...Please don't shout at Charlie or punish him for soiling..unless you catch him in the act he won't have a clue why you are angry with him or what he did wrong and you will destroy the bond you have with him and make him afraid of you..I think the way forward is to start from scratch as explained above ..take it gently and you will be surprised how quickly Charlie will grasp what is required of him.
Meg
Supervisor

18-04-2006, 07:20 PM
......can I just add dogs are never defiant ...they are not capable of that sort of thought or behaviour. They are also accustomed to being in a group and are not designed to be left alone for long periods..4 hours is really the maximum.

If you have to leave Charlie for a long time make sure he has a play and a walk first, and maybe leave a kong with a 'safe 'filling like frozen potato/cheese or sardines ..things he can lick but not choke on
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I've tried the treat trick tonight when I got home and he loved it!! Everytime he weed outside he got a small treat and even after about 10 mins (and him having drink) I tried it again and it worked... I def think this is the way forward

He has a 'treat ball' when I'm out to play with and I always leave the radio on so he doesn't feel alone (well don't think he could cos theres an African Grey parrot in the same room who rather chatty!!)

I think I find it so hard cos I live on my own with him and it would be easier if there was someone else to share the duties and stuff.... but I'm gonna try so hard to put it right from now on
Meg
Supervisor

18-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Rachie
I've tried the treat trick tonight when I got home and he loved it!! Everytime he weed outside he got a small treat and even after about 10 mins (and him having drink) I tried it again and it worked... I def think this is the way forward

He has a 'treat ball' when I'm out to play with and I always leave the radio on so he doesn't feel alone (well don't think he could cos theres an African Grey parrot in the same room who rather chatty!!)

I think I find it so hard cos I live on my own with him and it would be easier if there was someone else to share the duties and stuff.... but I'm gonna try so hard to put it right from now on
Rachie you need to say the words you wish to use when you want Charlie to 'perform' when he is in the middle of doing it so he associates what he is doing with the command than praise/treat the instant he finishes Any words will do as long as they are always the same ..Eventually he will go on command when you say the word
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2006, 08:24 PM
yeah thats what I did... our word is 'weewee'... I feel like a mum potty training her child!! Once he'd done I shouted him over and gave him a big fuss saying good boy and gave him the treat

Will I have to do this all the time or just till he gets the hang of it?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I always praise mine its just habbit now but i don't think it hurts to remind them
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Hollie goes on command - you can say "wee wee" more than once and she will go, if she really can't go she will pretend, I think she likes to humour us!

I say it before she goes, as she is going, and praise after too - we always have and she is 4 yrs old tomorrow, we've had her since a teeny puppy. I expect the neighbours think (or they know) that I am barmy!!

All this is done and every now and then she decides our bed is good for a little tiddle - the latest I think was down to the school holiday amd me and the boys being poorly, and us getting a new budgie, a bit of jealousy.

As far as punishment goes it is a stern word, never more. She acts as though more though but I think being dumped as a pup and whatever happened before contributes to that.

We crate trained her, I think that helped along with frequent visits to the garden for "wee wee's" - she was house trained quite easily. I go back to basics with her every now and then, just to remind her.

I think it's a good idea to remind them of good habits from time to time.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Rachie, keep up the good work with Charlie, it will come right in the end.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I hope things continue to improve, that's great!

I suspect some of it may have been due to insecurity, due to the other dog etc as dogs will use scent to make themselves feel better. Training on puppy pads may have indicated to him that its Ok to go in the house sometimes if he feels a bit full, too.

If you still find intermittent problems, come back and get more advice or even better, get someone in to help

You could try: www.apdt.co.uk for a sensible trainer near you
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Good luck with charlie he will get there in the end let us know how hes going
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2