Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks Helen will do

Hi Vicki, Skype is a service that allows you to talk to your friends via Voip for free PC to PC. They also do phone numbers as well which is really useful if you need a second line but don't want to get one installed through BT and pay BT's extortionate line rentals.

They also do really cheap international calls if you wanted to use that service as well.

Ebay just bought Skype out for mega pounds. It's really good for home users and also a great option for small to medium businesses looking to keep costs low.

http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks MC - I'll have a nosey at that over the weekend
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I have Skype on my computer but whats a Skype phone...how does it work? Would it work out the same cost as comp skype, I dont like the comp to comp calls, Ive always had about a 20 second delay so Im saying something else when the other person is just responding to something I said before...although my BF said that has nothing to do with Skype

But I get to phone US-house phone or cell phone, Spain and UK for about 2c a minute so I cant complain at that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I used to get that Flipper, and your boyfriend's right, it's not you it's the other person's pc, unless of course you get it on all calls, in which case it will be your pc that's the problem? Have you downloaded the very latest one, think it's Skype 2??? If not, go and download it, you can have video with it now on that new one. Also you have to keep updating it anyway, maybe you haven't done that bit? I know what you mean though, it's like having a parrot sitting on your shoulder isn't it
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Just bought the Olympia Dual Phone which allows both BT calls and Skype calls in, and it distinguishes between the two Hence eliminating the need to have to have another line.

My number is a Skype-In number. Really easy to buy. 30 euros for one year (used to be 20). You can buy numbers in all sorts of countries. The advantage is that people in the local country can call into a local number (and pay local rate) to speak to you.

All the details are here;
http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/

Voicemail with it is essential.

The other main product is Skype Out, which is basically credit, which you use for calling landlines anywhere in the world. Rates here;
http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...l?currency=GBP
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks for that info Ingrid Now, what I need to know please is, if I buy a Skype phone, do I use it from the pc to phone landlines internationally then, and not from my normal BT line?? Do I need to go for the Skype out and not the Skype in if I only want to make calls with it? In which case I think I'm going to get one, coz I ring Spain a lot and my dear Mum doesn't have a pc,bless her!! This would cut my phone bill in half, which would be good
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Helen

My new phone hasn't arrived yet, I think either Monday or Tuesday - what I'm led to believe with it, is that it has two out going call buttons on it, one for skype and one for normal landline - but I'll confirm this with you when it arrives

(btw it connects to the pc and the phone port - hence the dual use)
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Helen

Skype phone arrived an hour ago and have just hooked it up. Haven't used it yet as it needs the battery to be charged for 24 hours - although I'm sure you don't have to wait that long but I will anyway

I can confirm that the phone has an outgoing call button for Skype, and also an outgoing call button for the normal landline (BT).

It was easy to install, just put the phone pieces together, plugged the power in, hooked the USB connection to the back of the computer, and hooked the phone socket into the phone port. Installed the phone's software and that was it, it automatically checked it for me and said it past all tests which is great but will only know for sure until I use it tomorrow

I will give you an update on its performance tomorrow. It's a good little phone from what I can see, and its great that it is cordless.

Hope this helps.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks Ingrid Well, I think I've just gotta have one of those then! I'll save a fortune on phone calls to my Mum in Spain. Thanks for your time and trouble Ingrid, I appreciate it
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Got Skype on pc tonight!!!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >