Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by bagoratz
Other than Vaseline and force which seems to be the favourite amongst a lot of breeders, can't help you mate - sorry

Better luck next time maybe?

This could result in you getting Bitten .
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:17 PM
You really need the help of an experienced stud dog owner I'm afraid, it's not always a case of leaving them to get on with it.

Whenever my girls have gone to stud, I hold my girl while the stud dog owner helps at the other end

So definitely look for a better stud dog owner I say, sorry
pawpaw
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:17 PM
apart from holding her we were at a loss ..I thought maybe just maybe there was a tip or trick the owners could do to help.(not vasaline) just wishfull thinking
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Sounds like she's not quite ready - give it another day. Theres no hard and fast rules and I have yet to find a bitch that has read any of the books!

Whatever you do, don't do a forced mating - if they don't mate naturally then there is a good reason for it.

I've had bitches that mate on day 13 without fail, others that wait until day 21 - even had one that mated on day 35! Any advance on 35?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Can I just ask some obvious questions

Have either you or the stud dog's owners been involved with mating dogs before ?

Are both dog & bitch maidens?

How old are the dogs ?

Breeding dogs isn't just letting the dog & bitch get on with it The bitch needs to be restrained in most cases to help the dog & the dog might also need help in physically mating the bitch. Not all bitches want to be matec & maiden bitches can seriously hurt the dog if not handled correctly

This is why it is advisable to have an experienced breeder as a mentor before considering breeding. It is also advisable to witness a mating before your bitch is ready

Well done on having ensured both dog & bitch are DNA tested as well as clinically tested for eye problems & on having them both hip scored
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:37 PM
More to the point are both Staffords in question L2 Tested and free from HC/PHPV ? please say yes
pawpaw
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks i am the owmer of the bitch and it is her first time amd mine only ever witnessed one mating a few years back.. as for the stud owner from essex she said he had proven litters and she was experienced I just followed her lead really she said to come back on saturday . I did hold my dog Bella while he mounted her but her valva seemed just a bit to low down for him... do i go back to him or find another or wait, sorry about this I don't know what to do
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi pawpaw Mating dogs contrary to popular belief is not always an easy task,yes I know dogs get out and get mated accidentally.. but you need to know what you are doing and be shown by someone who does.

You have not said how many days in season your bitch is, she may not be ready or already past it, you need to know how to 'present' a bitch to a dog and assist with a tie, get it wrong and you could damage the bitch/dog or both.

Mating is not really something that is easy to explain on a forum, it comes with experience and watching the body language of the dogs.
pawpaw
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi
This is day 13 into Bella's season... thanks for your help I will research more as I never thought you actually had to assist the dogs...oohh
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by pawpaw
................ I will research more as I never thought you actually had to assist the dogs...oohh
Hm the stud dog owner can't be that experienced if they didn't offer you advise on how to hold your bitch & why
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >