View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Murph gets dandruff now and again I give him a couple of pilchards in oil now and again -seems to help
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by jess
sorry, it's me again.... bells started ringing when someone mentioned sunflower oil, and I remembered that there are oils you need, oils you don't need and oils that are not good at all. Ideally you are looking for a balance of omegas 3 and 6, too much 6 is not good.... also there are EFA inactive oils (can only be used by certain dogs that can 'break' into the complex...there is no way to tell if your dog can) and there are EFA activated oils, these are easily 'accessed' by the body and should be preferred and used over the inactive oils. Its confusing huh? Billinghurst breifly mentioned it in his books, but i found this simplified version just now if anyone is interested....

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/id23.html
well now i'm confused!
Sydney is on complederm from the vet specifically for dandruff trouble which is omega 6 to omega 3 ratio 5:1 and it works.. confusing or what??????????
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi,
My Amy used to really suffer with dry skin..untill the vet told me to give her 1000mg Evening Primrose oils daily dropping it to 500mg after a month.
It sounds alot but is in fact only 1 capsule put in with her evening meal,it worked so well all 3 of mine have it now & all of them have gorgeous shiney coats & no problems.

sarah
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 03:19 PM
sorry to confuse you Trouble21... lots of omega 6 on its own is not great, but i am sure your medicated one is fine.

but i would argue that a maunfactured one is not as good as going for something more natural (but I am saying this quietly cos I don't know whats in the one you got, but i bet they charged you alot for it!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by jess
sorry to confuse you Trouble21... lots of omega 6 on its own is not great, but i am sure your medicated one is fine.

but i would argue that a maunfactured one is not as good as going for something more natural (but I am saying this quietly cos I don't know whats in the one you got, but i bet they charged you alot for it!)
that's ok,
thought i understood it before and we were already adding things like pilchard, tuna, salmon etc to his complete food to make it more interesting for him and he absolutely glowed he was that shiny, came out of kennels in january with a bit of dandruff which proceeded to get worse and he was moulting too much also. Dobies dont have the thickest of coats and we could see through it on his back.( a general thinning ) gave it a few weeks but it got worse. vet has taken scrapings and can find nothing wrong. The complederm is £11 a bottle and lasts about a week. This together with sebomild shampoo seems to have done the job. i let it lapse a bit last week because the pup was stealing his food and the dose is weight related ( he is 44kgs to her 10kgs) but i've noticed that although he is as shiny as ever he is starting to flake and thin again. so i'm starting again just have to keep the little one out of it and hope it improves again. Unfortunately dobies are prone to skin probs. to be honest don't care if he has to take it forever more, better that than the moth eaten look he was sporting in jan/feb.
seems to contain evening primrose, cold marine fish oil, vit A, vit E, vit B6 and zinc, but the vet is adament the ratio has to be precise. if it didn't work then i could disagree with him, but it does, so what can i say.
he also said the prob was usually associated with poor diet but as he went through everything meal by meal he has said at the moment he can give no reason for the problem and we are to wait and see. some dogs demands are that much greater.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2