View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Then do as I do if you want to give him a treat use free flow frozen meat, no smell.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Mine are fed all raw as well, have been for over 4yrs now & doing great on it

About worms, you`ll not find them in todays meat because animals for food are treated with wormers so none get into the human chain, don`t forget some, humans do still eat raw food & fish

I haven`t used a wormer on my dogs since they`ve been on raw foods but I do have them fecal tested & up till now they still come back negative
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 09:59 AM
This may sound a really stupid question - but -
Do they eat while its frozen or wait for it to defrost? LOL.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
They eat meat lollies
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2005, 03:44 PM
I mostly feed my dog a good quality kibble because it's convenient, but I try to give a nice raw meaty bone from time to time to keep teeth nice and clean. It works really well and she loves it.

To be honest, she's much more likely to pick up worms from the horrible things she sometimes finds and managed to eat before I get them off her: I think if you have dogs, you need to worm regularly. Which is a particular pain with my dog as she has a sensitivity to Drontal, so we can't use that.
frenchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.pugwelfare-rescue.org.uk/..._parasite.html

Ever since I read this article I freeze meat before I feed it to Phoebe - I'm not taking any chances.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Skjerstad, the mince that comes from Lobbans is usually frozen when you get it; basically, it's the offcuts from the stuff they sell for people. We break it into appropriate weights and store it in the freezer (often, there's more dog food than people food in there! ) I thaw it before the little monsters get it. Occasionally, it's necessary to cook it lightly, to remove excess fat (but there's not much) - they'll eat it just as greedily as they do when it's raw!

Snorri
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by cycas
I mostly feed my dog a good quality kibble because it's convenient, but I try to give a nice raw meaty bone from time to time to keep teeth nice and clean. It works really well and she loves it.

To be honest, she's much more likely to pick up worms from the horrible things she sometimes finds and managed to eat before I get them off her: I think if you have dogs, you need to worm regularly. Which is a particular pain with my dog as she has a sensitivity to Drontal, so we can't use that.
Why don`t you try herbal wormers & to be sure they do need worming have the vet do a fecal test first?

Heres a link for herbal wormers

http://www.folklore.directory4shoppi...roductsnew.htm
http://www.homoeopet.co.uk/fourseasons.htm
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:48 PM
thanks to you all for yor replies. I will pass this on to my pal and see what she sez. She is vegan so the frozen idea might appeal to her. In fact I may even start giving Molly some more raw or frozen meats now. Thanks again to all.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Archie is quite partial to a frozen raw chicken wing
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >