View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2004, 03:57 PM
I don't really care how much my vet makes because he does a good job (most of the time)
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2004, 04:55 PM
This is my vets home and practise, do you think she makes money........lol.

My vet was asked if she would go into partnership with a well known group, but refused, she admitted that because she is a private small practise her prices are slightly higher, but I must admit it's more personal and I have her home number for emergencies, which is reassuring when I have a bitch in whelp.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Coming to this late again, typical me!

Well, I have to admit that I've never seen a vet have to put out a begging bowl, but I think some do better than others. I think the area in which the practice is situated might well make a difference.

Here in Orkney, the bulk of vet work is with farm animals, making farmers the major part of the clientele. Orkney farmers do not fare any better than the majority elsewhere (after BSE and F&M scares) and they have transport costs on top of the usual, so they are not generally well-off. There is only so much the vets can charge before the farmers will stop calling them in and start shooting the animals instead.

I think that we, as pet-lovers, make a comparatively easy target; they know we will pay, but, having said that, I gather from other places where this has been discussed, our Orkney vets are charging much the same as elsewhere. They are called out frequently at all hours, and, in this area, that might require calling out a boatman in all sorts of weather! Any night call involves a trip to the surgery for the vet, and here, it could be up to 20 miles.

I know tht £10 - 20 per consultation looks a lot, and with some, it is way too much - but I've seen 45 minute consultations here cost the same (and consequently looking like better value)!

I have an on-line friend who has just retired early from her own practice; whilst she was not exactly poor, I wouldn't describe her as stinking rich, either. She has always had a decent motor, but her first brand-new one came only when she sold the practice. Two things she admits to, though - padding the price when it was an insurance job, and adding a comfy mark-up to the drug prices (although not as much as our vet does!)

As many of you will know, my Snorri is epileptic and needs phenobarb twice a day - i.e. a regular dose, probably for life. By asking the vet for a private prescription (£3.09 last time) and having it filled at Boots, we are saving over 50% of the drug cost over a 2-month period, including the prescription fee.

In this day and age, when fatcats are trousering hundreds of thousands for part-time jobs chairing meetings, etc., I don't really think that skilled, well-trained vets are all that excessive.

Doesn't mean I enjoy paying, though!

Snorri
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

24-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Babs I did a search in Dogweb... I think i searched for :

vets and money

Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm not complaining about paying vets at all, although I can say I've been to some very expensive ones, my current vet is very affordable. I read complaints from vets, and it annoyed me. My opinion is different I think because vets all make tons of money where I live. The cost of living is very high compared to other states in the US and the rural sections. I have no complaints until I heard them from vets crying poverty, and then I realized that some vets really don't make money. Still no sympathy, lol, people shouldn't be so money motivated.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2005, 07:52 PM
do vets make money yep they sure do a lot of times I am sure they give you things that ar not needed and say come back for a check up and charge you again
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll second that scottish boxer, when I think of the times I've been to my vets handed over my money just for them to say "ok, if you have any more problems just give us a ring"
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-02-2005, 10:08 PM
My vet seems to charge slightly more than other vets but I wont complain as we see the same vet everytime we go he explains everything you get options on treatment, Abby loves him only downside is he doesnt do out of hrs so our emergency vets are the Royal Vet Hospital in Potters Bar has anyone had any dealings with them?
Mary
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I dont know if my vet is well off or not, but i can see he deserves every penny he gets and more. Because if it was not him we would not have storm now.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2005, 11:15 PM
My vets aren't rich but not poor, they have three branches and they have ploughed the profits into getting bigger and better buildings etc. I was talking to my vet and he told me that the premises that I go to they spent £45,000 to upgrade the place to hospital status.

I also find they are very fare, they give you a full half hour consultation and if it goes over that you don't pay more, they also give you the choice of a high cost (Branded) drug or the use of a generic drug instead, they even caculate a monthly total if your dog needs constant medication to see if you can cope with it. And when our Shep died they reimbursed us on the remaing tablets - they asked us to return them!

And they are so open about the practice, they have a open day every year and you get a guided tour around the operating theatres etc and can ask the vets whatever questions you want.

Also they only do appoinments so you don't have to sit and wait in a crowded room either.

Between the three premises there are 7 vets, 9 nurses, 4 trainee nurses, 5 receptionists, 1 manager and 1 accounted. - pretty big concern. They are also putting a web site together.

Ian

(Sorry about the long post.)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >