View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Staffy
We're gonna take the kids to my MIL's woodland to see if the chestnuts are ready for picking. The kids stand on OH's shoulder and whack 'em off with sticks. Many a time OH has been hit on the head with either a stick or a spiky casing
good idea Staffy I`ll just be careful where I`m whacking the stick when OH helping picking em up
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Maybe a few more weeks then end of October,bet they will taste great,brought back memories for me too when a kid going to get conkers and then when we use to take the boys,day out in the cold and then home for hot soup and crusty bread and butter.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
Maybe a few more weeks then end of October,bet they will taste great,brought back memories for me too when a kid going to get conkers and then when we use to take the boys,day out in the cold and then home for hot soup and crusty bread and butter.

Mmmmm can smell it already I`ll let you know what they`re like if/when they`re ready
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Look forward to that.Mmmmm I can smell the soup too,have to hunt see if I have any for lunch.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Zanta need and early lunch now, it's making feel hungry
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
I`m eating a chicken sandwich, talk of soup made me hungry
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I love chestnuts Christine as Het and the others say it is a little early yet, when ready they should start to drop from the trees and given a little tap the outer cases should split and come off with ease to reveal the light brow skins of the mature chestnuts ...my favourite way to eat them is to pierce the skins with a skewer (you must do this on both sides or they explode ) roast in the oven for 20-30 mins then peel and eat with salt..you can pop them in a fire or on a BBQ too if you like them brown outside and a little crisp in the middle (as the skins split so the exposed part goes brown) You can also boil them in their skins having pierced them first..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm really hungry now can the smell the soup and the chestnuts.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Making me feel hungry and I have to wait til 1 o'clock for lunch

I put them in a baked bean or soup tin - thats been washed- and then put it in the coal fire with the lid shut, and wait til they start popping. Then you burn your fingers because you can't wait for them to cool down so you can eat them
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought it was Mini but see the men selling them on corners made me think mine were late Its first time with straight of the tree tho
I`m going to do them on the bbq can`t wait Haing some friends on Sunday was sort of hoping I could do em then but guess I`ll have to wait awhile & do em for just me n OH with a glass or 2 of something
Good tip about skewering them thats what I`ll do
I do recall one & only time ages ago doing them in the oven, they exploded cos didn`t pierce them
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >