Female 

02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
:smt042 :smt044 :smt042 :smt044

oh dear that could have got very ugly,, keep em coming gaz
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 10:14 AM
It's the Colour of Magic - it was a gift to me so I didn't pick it ; just the names Rincewind and Cripple wa, Blind Hugh really finding them hard to take seriously but then perhaps that's the point?

Please do recommend one that you think is good because I'm definitely on the look out for a 'new' author i.e. new to my usual group of authors that I read.

Appreciate it

Edited to say, sorry to hear about Kevin, really glad that you are helping him out with his reading and writing - that's really great!

Originally Posted by Gaz webber
Which did you get?
I am trying to help Kevin (who left school unable to read or write) to learn to read, using some of Terry's Discworld books for children. When Terry writes children's books he is unconventional, in that he doesn't write childishly, or write down to a level. As he put it (paraphrasing) "Children know when you are being condescending", so he just writes discworld books with fewer long words..
This makes the books fun for kids and adults. However, he still uses strange names. Poor Kevin was struggling with *Perspicacia Tick* on the first page.
May I suggest perhaps borrowing a different one from the library, or, indeed, allowing me to chose and send you one of mine? One of Terry's quirks is that to start with you have to work at them, to get to understand the local characters and situations, but quite quickly you find you put on his books like comfortable slippers. For example, I got his latest, *Thud*, yesterday, and decided I'd have an early night and read a chapter, so went to bed at 8pm with a milky drink and the book. Within minutes it was like I was back in a favourite holiday resort, among old friends, and before I knew it "Nevertheless it was close enough for now. *End* Page362" happened and it was 12:45 am, and my drink was untouched.....
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
It's the Colour of Magic - it was a gift to me so I didn't pick it ; just the names Rincewind and Cripple wa, Blind Hugh really finding them hard to take seriously but then perhaps that's the point?

Please do recommend one that you think is good because I'm definitely on the look out for a 'new' author i.e. new to my usual group of authors that I read.

Appreciate it

Edited to say, sorry to hear about Kevin, really glad that you are helping him out with his reading and writing - that's really great!

TCOM is the first book of the discworld. It introduces you to Rincewind, who is one of the on-going characters in the *Wizards* story arc. Quite a popular character too, very endearing, when you get to know him. I admit, Terry's choices of names are challenging, but you get used to it, quite quickly. You will meet Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax and Magrat Garlick, three witches, the mainstay of the Witches story arc, for example. Also Gaspode the talking dog, Foul Old Ron, Coffin' Henry, The Duck Man, 'Cut me own throat' Dibbler, affectionately called "Throat"......
Choices, choices....
Lets see. To introduce you to the Witches (all of whom are, at heart, benign, damned good folk) you could try *Equal Rites*, a story of a girl who wants to be a wizard. Or *Moving Pictures*, a story of the magic of cinema, which also introduces you to The Librarian of the Unseen University, the centre of Wizard Education.
Yes, I'd sugest one of those two, or, to get you into the swing of the Night Watch, possibly Guards! Guards! There are so many to chose from, and some of my favourites are the later books, but it helps if you see how the characters develop.
Okay....Moving Pictures will be my final choice. It introduces you to Gaspode, who is a dog, and this is a dog forum. It will make you look again at your dawg, and start to wonder.....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Love the stories Gaz and Steve

Keep them coming
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks Gaz, I will pop down to the local library and locate Moving Pictures

Brilliant info, thanks for taking the time to write it

Originally Posted by Gaz webber
TCOM is the first book of the discworld. It introduces you to Rincewind, who is one of the on-going characters in the *Wizards* story arc. Quite a popular character too, very endearing, when you get to know him. I admit, Terry's choices of names are challenging, but you get used to it, quite quickly. You will meet Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax and Magrat Garlick, three witches, the mainstay of the Witches story arc, for example. Also Gaspode the talking dog, Foul Old Ron, Coffin' Henry, The Duck Man, 'Cut me own throat' Dibbler, affectionately called "Throat"......
Choices, choices....
Lets see. To introduce you to the Witches (all of whom are, at heart, benign, damned good folk) you could try *Equal Rites*, a story of a girl who wants to be a wizard. Or *Moving Pictures*, a story of the magic of cinema, which also introduces you to The Librarian of the Unseen University, the centre of Wizard Education.
Yes, I'd sugest one of those two, or, to get you into the swing of the Night Watch, possibly Guards! Guards! There are so many to chose from, and some of my favourites are the later books, but it helps if you see how the characters develop.
Okay....Moving Pictures will be my final choice. It introduces you to Gaspode, who is a dog, and this is a dog forum. It will make you look again at your dawg, and start to wonder.....
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
After reading many of Terry's books, I can say without a doubt, that REAPER MAN is the absolute best. Hilarious. And it is not a very thick one, so IMO a nice one to start with.

by the way, I am also reading The Colour of Magic at the moment. Just love the part in the intro about the turtles in the sky getting together once for a big mating session to make other turtles that will also carry worlds on their back. This is known as the Big Bang.
Lol, wonderful imagination he has!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2