View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 12:54 PM
There was a programme on this morning (Country watch?) that featured free-range turkeys being habituated to the noise of fireworks.

Without the training, up to 25% of them are injured as they go at one another to get away from the noise.

I imagine they are not alone amongst our wildlife and farm animals.

Dogs and people can be highly affected by the noise.

Italy have the right idea. They allow soundless fireworks only. All the spectacle without the abhorrent bangs and shrieks
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2016, 09:58 AM
I love the idea of soundless fireworks and wish the UK would adopt it for the sake of all the pets, livestock and wildlife that have to endure them. Even my son (who is 8 years) would prefer it, as we have taken him to a display a couple of times and he just wants to come away because of the noise and gathering of large crowds.

We live in the middle of nowhere and so never hear fireworks at any time of year. We do live on a shooting estate though so gunshot is common and more especially during the shooting season at this time of year. One of my German shepherds is not keen on the sound of gunshot but seems to have become a little more habituated to it over the years.

I also saw the clip about the turkeys - very interesting.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I love the idea of soundless fireworks and wish the UK would adopt it for the sake of all the pets, livestock and wildlife that have to endure them. Even my son (who is 8 years) would prefer it, as we have taken him to a display a couple of times and he just wants to come away because of the noise and gathering of large crowds.

We live in the middle of nowhere and so never hear fireworks at any time of year. We do live on a shooting estate though so gunshot is common and more especially during the shooting season at this time of year. One of my German shepherds is not keen on the sound of gunshot but seems to have become a little more habituated to it over the years.

I also saw the clip about the turkeys - very interesting.
Living in the middle of nowhere has its merits. I did. Six miles from the nearest village shop.

But life moves on and the moving finger writes........Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyám...

We now live in an urban area. But lots of space for Max to run. We can go for an hour from our front door.

Fireworks have made that a challenge.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Thankfully I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere too but I can still hear the echo of fireworks from the nearest village. Loki is not too bothered as much like Moobil we live in the middle of a shooting estate and Loki accompanies me to my work where she will work for me whilst shoots are being done.

Fireworks don't bother her. My other boy Shadow though has become terrified as he has got older (almost 9 now) but I fear his hearing is failing him a little and he hears them louder when everything else is a lot softer in his world. He used to be like Loki and watch them with us.

I personally think fireworks should be limited to display areas as they are very distressing, my ferrets in particular do not cope well the poor Wee toots don't understand at all.
Marco
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2016, 12:42 AM
my dog just hate them too.
Well, that's not accurate. He actually loves "watching" them, but can't stand "hearing" them. So usually we watch from afar, and things are ok.
(not the same thing, but it can save us a great deal of traffic)

the funny thing it my daughter (6) is pretty much the same: would get scared any time sounds would get a bit loud.
Maybe there a link here... I don't know
Lil554
New Member!
Female 

23-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Omg! None of my dogs so far likes fireworks. they just create a big havock at home when they hear one.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2