View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Oh dear Moyra hope everything is charged soon.

Just spoken to Maddie the lovely vet nurse. Discussed the cartrophen with her and she says that does have side effects same as all the oral drugs but as it is not used as much they are not sure as yet how the side effects compare with the previcox. rymadil etc., He will be monitored. They will probably inject into a spot like he was having a booster not into the affected joint as it will ease his left elbow too and his hips if he does have hip dysplasia grey area as he was so young when x-rayed but will help the degenerative joint disease in his toes which he damaged when young and will also ease the inflammation he gets with the distal rotation.
We are booked in for next Monday at 4.40pm when Katherine his vet is back and Maddie is ordering the cartrophen for him.
She said he is undoubtedly experiencing some discomfort even if he is not showing it or making a noise about it.
Gorden and I will be happy not to see him have to continually stretch on rising and showing a distinct limp by the time we get halfway round on our walk. It may of course shorten his life who knows we sincerely hope not but if it means he can have a life for the next few years so be it a much better option in our opinion.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Lynn, its all a catch 22 to know what to do. You can only go on the advice of your vet and hope with all your heart that it is really what is best for him.

Hopefully, the path lab wont be so queued up this afternoon, mornings are very busy. Only problem is finding somewhere to park if I leave it to visiting times.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Can't win Moyra either of us.
We just want to see him get up and not struggle as much as he is at the moment so I think we have no choice really. Either way it may or may not cut his life possibly shorter but better a shorter life and pain free and being able to jump about still and enjoy walks than struggle and see him crippled before his time.
Its heartbreaking at the moment to see him and yet he still enjoys life and never complains for now but this has happened so quick so how long will it take for it to cripple him ? Not long I think cannot take the risk and see him suffer.
It's 8 months since he was diagnosed and already we are at this point even with good supplements that helped enormously in the beginning.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Hi all
Quick visit for me today cos I'm at work early today. Tony has bought me a new iPad for my birthday so I'm testing it out before work
Hope everyone is well and pooches too. Will catch up proper later
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Decide to go for a very nice pub meal today. They are so used to use now they know what I order without having to ask. The ladies that look after us are brilliant
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Had a bit of a busy morning as had to zoom off on the bone run earlier than usual, so everything got done at lightening speed then off out. However an accident on the motorway then more queues for people to go into the Trafford Centre(Why??) and by the time I got there I wasn't as early as I promised.Good haul this week though, everything bagged and in freezers and dinosaur bones for girls for tea tonight
Now watching Doctors, having a butty and cup of tea
Poor Dillon am hoping that this injection helps him, its very upsetting to think he is so young and its already affecting his life, he is around the same age as Mabs and she is still rushing round and play fighting, lots of hugs for him, and for you both because you need them with all this happening
Nippy, I think you and Brian have got a few bricks in your joint rucksack at the moment, and I'm sure you are in there fighting and will emerge victorious at the other end of it all.
Hi Brenda, glad to see you,have been wondering where you were, hope everythings OK at your end
Moyra what about using taxis instead of your car, as its obviously not well, maybe time you retired it. Hoping you get to the hospital this aftertoon after the phone's been charged. I put mine on charge every night while I watch telly once the levels gone below 30%
Oooh doesn't Teazle look lovely in her undies, Sue. Have a lovely meal out, and like you say the stuff in the slow cooker will do anytime
Griff, hope your test went well, seems to be the day for them
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Just got back from the Hospital, nice big bruise. Had a long wait for a parking space but the actual clinic was not too bad at all, only half a dozen in front of me.

Let's hope this new drug will do the trick without shortening his life bless him, but as you say as long as he is not suffering that is the main thing.

Glad you got your bones June, that should keep them happy for a day or two.

Hope your back is feeling better.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Glad the bone haul was worth the traffic jams June.
Children still on holidays so expect it was mums taking them out causing chaos.

Dillon still likes a game and bombs and jumps around when he knows he is going out for a walk but he is not as lively as he should be I am sure for his age and considering what a fire cracker he was when younger. So I do think its affecting him now and Maddie seemed to think he will be in some degree of pain if not all the time.
Teazle looking very smart.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Yes Teazle is looking very good. I am sorry Lynn, it is heartbreaking when you think of what such a lovely dog he is. Just hope you can nurse him along out of pain.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Lynn, both my old dogs had cartrophen, diez lived until she was 13 laney went at 9 quite suddenly, both had cartrophn at around 4 years of age, neither suffered any side effects from it at all, i hope that reassures you a bit, i will have absolutely no issue in using it with this pair if needed. The most fantastic drug i ever used was a drug called trocoxil, now that is a serious worry as there is no antidote at all to the drug and you really have to be at the point of PTS before using it, diez started that at 8 years old and was on it until the point she died, that drug gave me another 5 years with my princess and having seen my dog on it the vet got his dog on it too Lol...there are tonnes of horror stories about every drug but you just have to try your best for them, as you say, better to be able to enjoy his life now....i wouldn't want to live to 90 having struggled for 30 years, i would rather lose 10 years and have an awesome 20 years
TW, oooooo wonder how come the bones are picking up again? i wonder were other people being given them and some have dropped out
Moyra, pleased you got the blood test done, shame about the battery
Sue, what a beautiful girl Teazle is...you have done a lovely job with her coat
Mandy, lucky you being given a new ipad for your birthday...you deserve it though
Had my blood test, didn't need to wait too long, got the bus back and it was one of the nice drivers always happy for a chat...he was a right pillock to begin with but he is a laugh now. Got in, just put the kettle on and my aunty rung...just managed to get my coffee and a snack now
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >