Male 

23-03-2014, 10:41 AM
No he won't, I made loads up and had to give it away
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I never leave food down. On the rare occasion she doesn't finish the half or third of a chicken wing in a sitting - I sling it out for the cats. I never leave kibble on the floor in a dish either. She gets it when she is hungry as a meal. It's rare she doesn't finish it (and sometimes even ask for more) but if it isn't gone in twenty minutes - that gets picked up too.

But if I was to take her into a neighbour's who does leave food down, even though she'd had enough and maybe just eaten - she would set about eating some of theirs too. I always ask them to pick the dish up.

And I see what is in kibble dishes left out - hair, dust, tiny dead flying insects. Oh no.
If there is no food in the dishes, I flip them over on the mat or whatnot. This prevents dust, hair etc. from settling in the dishes. I don't think that leaving the dish down is a HUGE deal because the dog still gets the same amount of food.

What's REALLY BAD is leaving the dish down, and filling it when it empties regardless. This will probably ensure your dog eats too much. But filling the dish with your dogs daily allotment of food and leaving it? I don't think that's a huge deal.

I don't do this with Jadey because Nigredo will steal her food, but I do it with Nigredo because she won't pick out of his bowl. At the end of the day, the bowl is usually empty and then re-filled in the morning.

If he decides to eat too much at one time? His fault... he's not getting more than his measured amount in any day. 5 cups of food each morning and there it goes. He gets nothing else now. No raw, no canned... just the kibble and treats and whatnot.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Is it only liver or is it kidneys as well, will he eat ox heart for instance, although that is more strictly a muscle meat.
I rarely feed liver really, if I do it is used for training treats when I buy it in the reduced section.
If he'll eat everything else but liver then I wouldn't worry about it, mine seem to have made it through to over 8 years old, and I doubt a commercial food will offer the benefits of raw anyway. If you cut the liver out of his food will he eat it then. Would he eat chicken cut into chunks or instance, white fish, tinned fish, or chicken wings/drumsticks/quarters.
There are so many other ways of feeding raw without sticking strictly to the minces.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Some dogs like liver, some dogs do not. And of the dogs who like liver, some like it raw, some only if it is cooked.

I buy turkey livers for Pereg and for myself - we both eat the same meat/fish/vegetables, the only difference being that she has hers raw and I cook mine - and she loves it raw.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-03-2014, 11:08 AM
If the dish is empty whats wrong with picking it up and washing it Never anything left in the girls dishes, then they all swop over and clean each others dishes to make sure, I'll leave them to till they're bored of that, then pick the dishes up and they are washed and put on the drainer
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Is it only liver or is it kidneys as well, will he eat ox heart for instance, although that is more strictly a muscle meat.
I rarely feed liver really, if I do it is used for training treats when I buy it in the reduced section.
If he'll eat everything else but liver then I wouldn't worry about it, mine seem to have made it through to over 8 years old, and I doubt a commercial food will offer the benefits of raw anyway. If you cut the liver out of his food will he eat it then. Would he eat chicken cut into chunks or instance, white fish, tinned fish, or chicken wings/drumsticks/quarters.
There are so many other ways of feeding raw without sticking strictly to the minces.
He will eat all raw apart from organs and I have always read and been told he needs organs
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
He will eat all raw apart from organs and I have always read and been told he needs organs
If he won't eat it there's no point in trying to force the issue. If he eats all other raw I'd go with what he wants. Some people feed only one type of meat others feed a whole variety, it's horses for courses.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I would stop worrying about it and give him what he'll eat.
Mine have ox heart more than anything else, and like I said I tend to give liver or kidneys as treats after I have sliced them and cooked them in the oven, and there are definitely no problems with my 4 girls.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I've tryed it all, cooked and uncooked he just can't stand it

And on the plus side, more room in the freezer for carp bait

Transported me back there - to the days when my angling mad youngest son lived at home. Still have nightmares about some of the stuff I'd find in the fridge!

He's still angling mad but not filling MY fridge with it any longer. Driving his wife bats with it now. She said more cupboard room and storage in their house, freezer, outbuildings etc. is made over to his fishing 'stuff' than to anything else and they have 4 kids between them!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I am thinking about switching Marley back to 'hi life' dry pellets, he looks loads better on raw, less poo which is great and he has loads more energy when he eats it, and that's the thing when he decided to eat it, which is normally every other day when he's starving, I switched cause I thought he would prefire it and I don't want to make him eat something he doesn't want, and he hates eating organ in any way shape or form, I've tryed mincing 200g of liver into 2kg of meat and he still doesn't like eating it, tbh I think my keep trying to feed liver has put him of, is there a supplement that I could give so he didnt need to eat organs ?
I don't wanna take him of raw but don't wanna feed him food he doesn't like,
What would people do
Keep him on raw - it will not hurt him to starve - no dog ever died from self-enforced starvation! You can always mix in a bit of cooked liver for instance to trip his trigger but it is all too easy to anthropomorphise with dogs - they will eat what you know to be the best food - you are in charge - it is similar to encouraging our children to eat sprouts - we as adults know that sprouts are good for us, but kids do not want to eat them - so, we tell them fine, if you don't want to eat your sprouts then that's your choice but there is no ice cream for pudding unless you eat your sprouts, it's called rolling with the punches! you are in charge! you decide what your dog should eat! not him.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »