View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2014, 09:35 AM
**The photo and video can be seen on Chrome as there is a little blue square above the links. Right click on it and then left click on "Open image in new tab".

Dawn - I have zoomed in on that red lump and it looks like like a blood filled blister to me.

May I ask what sort of service dog you want him for?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi,
Not really sure I'm understanding you correctly,sorry.
Your vet "thinks" your dog has mange mites? Did he take skin scrapings?Mange mites can be treated if that's what it is.
Maybe I'm mis- reading you but are you considering having your dog PTS because you think she won't make it as a service dog?Wouldn't like to think you'd find a vet willing to Put a 3 month old( or any age) dog down for either reason
I'm no expert but I'd imagine the eye problem could also be caused by a mite.If your two dogs play together,most likely they both have them.Be worth getting the second dog checked too in my opinion.
Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:14 PM
I have met vets that do put a pup down if they are suffering and there is no way to make them healthy. Now i am sounding like i am killing the pup for no apparent reason.i just asked for opinions and now i am being attacked.

I have severe PTSD and a heart condition.

What i am trying to say, not sure hiw i am misread...... Aries was picked to be my service dog, the other dog is my husbands and hes perfectly fine. As soon as we noticed the issue they havent played, nor touched each other.

I have stated that i dont want to bond with another dog for my issue when i am willing to starve myself for his treatments. And i am still asked if i am going to willingly take him in to be put down. Now why would i do that, when i am asking you all for opinions so i can treat it or try to before i take him in to be seen, and assed to see if he is going to suffer in the long run, or would he just remain at home as i go out with another dog and go about my day.

If i didnt care about his well being i wouldnt be here. I guess i will find another community that dont jump to that conclusion. Did i not say that if hes not fit for services, hes going to be a homebound pet, or am i hallucinating?

Thats what i thought too malka
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Hi Aries,

Welcome

No one is attacking you here they are simply trying to define the questions you are asking as it isn't clear from your posts.
Aries Spirit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Then your not reading it. I asked what it is, and mentioned that i dont wanna take him in to be put down, IF HES GOING TO SUFFER, and i am being accuses of doing it BEFORE i get him seen. I also said tjat hes taking meds for the current condition. I had a pet that had that lump and i had to put her down because it would only keep comming back, and the vet suggested it
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Only a vet can tell you what is it.
Mange mites are treatable.using the right products will get rid of them,stop the itching etc.The eye problem,I can only assume can also be treated but again only a vet can give you the answers.
No one was attacking you,sorry if you felt that
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Aries Spirit View Post
Then your not reading it. I asked what it is, and mentioned that i dont wanna take him in to be put down, IF HES GOING TO SUFFER, and i am being accuses of doing it BEFORE i get him seen. I also said tjat hes taking meds for the current condition. I had a pet that had that lump and i had to put her down because it would only keep comming back, and the vet suggested it
I'm really sorry that you feel you're being attacked, I genuinely think that your posts were just difficult to completely understand.

Of course you don't want to lose your three month old puppy.

The reality is, the mange is treatable and you are making sure he gets the right meds, that's great.

The small lump in his eye, could be anything, from a reaction to a scratch, to perhaps a cyst, but none of us are vets, or in the position to physically examine your dog.

I think the best place to start would be a visit to your vet and see what they think about it, the chances are that it is more likely not to be anything sinister, but they and only they, will put your mind at rest.

You have a lovely looking wee dog, who clearly enjoys the fuss and attention you were showing in the video.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Dawn, you had not said at the beginning that the pup was going to be a service dog for you. You might have gotten different responses had you said so.

Is the pup from a service dog provider and will he be registered as a service dog, because if that is the case then the organisation who supplied him would be responsible for his health and veterinary fees while he is in training.

If he was just chosen because he was cute or someone thought he "might" make a good service dog, then he is your responsibility. I also do not understand what you want a "service dog" to do for you, as you have not explained.

However, I do not understand why you think that a case of mites plus what looks like a tiny blood blister on his eye would be making him suffer before you have even had his eye looked at by a veterinarian?

If you do not explain these things, how do you expect people to diagnose and advise online?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Please, Aries... calm down. Nobody was trying to attack you, I think that they just wanted a better understanding. We are reading your posts, I assure you, and we are just trying to make sure we understand fully before we comment.

PLEASE don't run off the site, we are all trying to help. Lacey asked a solid question. If the vet merely "thinks" the dog has mange mites, then obviously he didn't do a skin scrape and he merely looked at it and took a guess.

You should get the vet to do a skin scrape, which will either confirm the mange mites, or confirm that it's something else. Many dogs have skin conditions that are managed long term by medicines etc. and they lead normal happy lives.

He's only 3 months and you have a vet that is trying to help you. Sometimes these issues take a long time to resolve as they are very mysterious. I think you are doing the right thing, but perhaps your vet should be working harder.

You did say that he was going to be a pet if he couldn't be a service dog. It looks like some type of skin condition, which can be managed as soon as your vet finds out what exactly it is. There is no reason to even consider putting him down, that's all they were trying to say, I think.

If you take him into the vet, they won't put him down! The vet should do a series of tests to try and find out what he has. Blood tests, skin scrapings, allergy tests... all of this and soon enough, you will know what is ailing him.

I'm almost sure it's nothing major and can most likely be treated with medicine and cured... or if it's chronic, managed well.

ADDED: Looking at his ears etc... it DOES look like mange at first glance, which is easily treated with conventional medicine. It DOES take a while to clear up, however and usually the vet give you something to help ease the itching as well. The thing on his eye looks like a sty or benign cyst (probably caused by his claws and scratching at his ears), which will probably clear up on it's own.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Also, Malka... she says she has severe PTSD, which probably means the dog is a "service dog" merely for her companionship. PTSD is a mental based disorder which dogs can help to ease.

In other words, my thoughts on the dog (and why she was speaking of her attachment to him) was that he was a companion animal to ease her stress and mental anxiety when she is around other people etc.

She has a heart condition and severe PTSD, which means that the anxiety issues etc. can cause extra wear on her heart, which already has something wrong with it... I think that's where the service part comes in, I think.
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »