View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I still have a crate in the kitchen because the dogs like to rest in it. They are not closed in it though.

Even though you are at home, there will be times when you will need to leave your pup home alone. So getting him used to the idea is, in my opinion, essential. And a crate, properly introduced is a wonderful aid to that goal.

Good luck.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2014, 08:00 AM
My pups always start off in a crate and stay in it until I think I can trust them which obviously depends on the dog. None of them is crated now (youngest is two) but they are caged in the van when I take them out and I know that I could easily put them back in crates if I needed to, eg for crate rest following injury. I would have left the crates up but I have four dogs and, as I like them to have room to lie flat, I don't have the space for four large crates.

My son's 5.5 month old border terrier has a large crate but now they leave it open unless they want a bit of peace and quiet - and he's cool with that!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Crate training is also good for incase there are ever any emergencies where the dog needs to be crated either at the vet or at home. Nothing more stressful than an emergency arising and your dog going crazy in a crate because it was never crate trained.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I would always reccomended crate training. I don't agree with over use of a crate but it's invaluable to have a safe place to put the puppy/dog and it's so much easier to introduce it well as puppies than to try to do it with an adult dog.

You never know when a crate will come in handy....until you have and need for it and don't have a crate trained dog, if you see what i mean. I think it's especially important with small children about.

Looking forward to pictures of the new pup!
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2014, 09:49 AM
We used a crate to aid in house training flag, in the times we have removed it he has missed it, since we finished house training we have almost never closed the door, but he prefers sleep in it rather than his own basket/bed, as someone else has already said is good for emergencies, we used it when my dad was ill, as nurses, ambulance staff and carers sometimes wouldn't enter till he was safely crated.
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2014, 03:23 AM
As well as being a useful training tool, my theory on crates is that if the dog has a place he feels he is safe in, he will rather go there than resort to nipping if the children overwhelm him.
I donīt know pugs personally so I dont know how much tolerence for young children they have but I do know that often the smaller dogs tend to have less tolerence for children
than bigger breeds.
I also find it useful as a multi dog household to give them each a chance at bones and time for themselves, especially since I have a pup that drives the older dogs crazy sometimes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I use a crate because Jade loves a crate. I usually keep the door open and she just lays in there at will. Also, it is where she sleeps at night.

I don't let her roam loose about the house at night, as she will cause mischief and she cannot sleep in my room with Nigredo and I because she likes to wee on all his laying spots.

I have never used a crate with a dog I've had before, Brownie, Shelly, Barker (indoor dogs) never had a crate and Nigredo doesn't use a crate. He had one as a puppy (shelter made me agree to buy one), but I quickly stopped using it and he has now outgrown it.

I don't think crates are essential at all, it depends on the dog and the dogs living situation. Both my dogs ride in the car on the seats, we don't use crates/carriers for cars at all. Nigredo is over 70 lbs and a crate is just silly at this point.

With the children there, of course I think that the crate is a good idea. Not to say your kids don't know how to treat dogs, but a new puppy can be overwhelmed by four kids trying to get to know him etc. and it would be a good place for him to retreat and the kids would leave him alone.
Tonners
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2014, 11:48 AM
My husband and I kept our rough collie pup in the kitchen with baby gates for the first few months that we had her. I felt that a crate would be cruel- even our smallest birds are in cages twice the recommended size... I like space.

But with time, it became apparent that that wouldn't work. She kept digging at the floor closest to our bedroom door, even with scents, sprays, etc., nearby that she didn't like. We chalked it up to separation anxiety, and got a very large crate. She was a snap to potty train (helps when they seem to want to only go outside!)- it took less than a week for her to learn that not only was potty time an outside-only event, but she has her own private area in a corner of the backyard (that is almost 3/4s the size of our garage!). That way, not only we, but she, isn't stepping in poo at playtime.

Her separation anxiety has really improved, and her independence is growing, thanks to the kennel. With a comfortable, large pillow, she seems to have no trouble getting comfortable, and it's big enough for her to stretch out some with her food/water bowl inside, in their stand, plus a few toys and bone. For the first time ever, she started laying more than three feet from us, comfortable with herself. She even went in the kitchen on her own to nap!

We plan on keeping the kennel even past time she needs it. I'd like to find some way of replacing the door, so that we can take it off or put it on as need be.. I kind of think of it now as her own personal space, lol. And like the others have said - they would be great in case of an emergency!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Crate training is also good for incase there are ever any emergencies where the dog needs to be crated either at the vet or at home. Nothing more stressful than an emergency arising and your dog going crazy in a crate because it was never crate trained.
I've just read through all of your replies and was about to post what Timber above has posted.
I used crate(s) for my two and the only time they use them now is in the back of the car. I am really really pleased that I did crate train them. They have been invaluable when staying at a friends house, camping or just giving them somewhere to go if we have young children in the house.

Good luck and I expect you are wishing the time away until you get your little pup ..... very exciting and be sure to come back and introduce us to your newest family member.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2