View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I never thought that clip was remotely funny to be honest that dog was totally out of control and if it had been a farmers livestock he was chasing and the farmer shot him the owner would have had no reason to complain. We don't live in the countryside but we frequently come across cattle etc in Epping forest so my dogs have been trained to walk past them without so much as a sideways glance. They could easily get in amongst them as the fence is a single strip of wire about waist height. Any owner would be devastated if their dog was shot for chasing sheep but it's easy enough to keep your dog safe, keep it on a lead around livestock.
Wasn't that clip filmed in Richmond park ? where everyone knows there are deer. We frequently come across deer in 2 of our local country parks and my dogs are walked offlead and have never given chase.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

26-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Azz - look at your OP

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
...[snip]...
How would you feel if a farmer shot your dog? Do you think they should be allowed to kill pets?
Then look at your next post

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Sorry I should have been clearer - I know that it was not on a farm, but it is typical of what some dog walks are like in the UK, countryside with right of way for the public (and their dogs) that backs on to or is near farmland.

Many of the public walks around here run by the Forestry Commission could lead you close to farm land - sometimes you turn a corner and will see sheep or other livestock.
The dog, Fenton, was not worrying sheep. He was in an area where dogs are permitted but he was totally out of control.

So there is no connection between your original question about how would you feel if a farmer shot your dog and the case of an out of control Fenton.

Had he been worrying sheep then yes, the farmer would have had every right to shoot him.

As it is the whole Fenton "thing" has been turned into a joke with not a thought about what might have happened had Fenton been in a field of sheep.

It would not have been that funny then, would it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Not a laughing matter, the story was reported in Newspapers & on TV news. The owner got away with his dog being totally out of control in a public place-not bad luck-lack of training & control of the dog by it's owner.

Yes farmers should be able to shoot at dogs who worried their livestock & it's not something most farmers want or like to do. You have to be licensed to use a dart gun separately from a shotgun licence & the drugs in the darts are almost as dangerous as ammunition, the strength of the drug can kill a human.

The owners that allow their dogs to worry, maul & kill livestock should be punished with a jail sentence.

No laughing matter for the sheep/cattle/dog & I'm surprised that people thought the video amusing
I understand your surprise,but in this particular clip there was no mauling or killing of livestock.The owner clearly had no control over his dog I agree and I agree with your opinion of the whole subject.I was not laughing at the dog or the animals involved and probably shouldn't have found anything about this clip amusing but I'd be lying if I said I didn't.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:02 PM
I think that farmers have every right to protect their livestock, and if a dog is running amok amidst their ewes then I am afraid that I don't blame him at all for shooting the dog. Even if it was my dog (although I would be absolutely distraught).

Some years ago, I was gardening when I heard a heck of a commotion up by my hen house. I hurtled up there, and found a collie in mid slaughter........he had killed four chickens and had a fifth in his mouth. I yelled blue murder, and he cleared the high gate out onto the lane (chicken still in his mouth), so I raced after him. His middle aged owner stood there in the lane and declared that her dog had done nothing wrong.........it was my responsibility to protect the birds. This was in spite of the fact that the dog came into our land over a high gate. I will cut this short, but my last words to her were along the lines of "if he gets into a field of sheep and you tell the farmer that he should have done more to protect them, then I suggest you cover your ears very tightly"

Sadly for the dog, he did indeed get into a field of sheep a few months later, and was shot after killing several lambs. All because the woman refused to believe that she was responsible for controlling her dog - she genuinely thought that everyone else should make fields and gardens proof against dogs.

I don't blame the farmer for shooting this dog. I felt like doing it myself when it killed my chickens on my land.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I understand your surprise,but in this particular clip there was no mauling or killing of livestock.The owner clearly had no control over his dog I agree and I agree with your opinion of the whole subject.I was not laughing at the dog or the animals involved and probably shouldn't have found anything about this clip amusing but I'd be lying if I said I didn't.
Actually Eileen, I found it anything but amusing in spite of my sometimes twisted sense of humour! I could hear the panic in the chap's voice, and could see the road with cars in the path of the deer and dog. I just went cold to be honest.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Actually Eileen, I found it anything but amusing in spite of my sometimes twisted sense of humour! I could hear the panic in the chap's voice, and could see the road with cars in the path of the deer and dog. I just went cold to be honest.
Maybe I wasn't looking at it the same way you were.Maybe I'm in a funny mood.Maybe I do have a twisted sense of humour,I don't know.The clip made me laugh,maybe that's wrong but I did.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Malka, there WAS a connection between Azz's original post and question and the Fenton thing.

The dog was in an area where dogs are allowed, as were the deer.

On the fells, on country walks, through villages etc. etc., dogs are allowed, and there are sheep..........lots and lots of sheep.

Notices are everywhere asking people to keep their dogs under control, but to be honest, they shouldn't need to be reminded of this.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Maybe I wasn't looking at it the same way you were.Maybe I'm in a funny mood.Maybe I do have a twisted sense of humour,I don't know.The clip made me laugh,maybe that's wrong but I did.
*smacks Eileen twice to bring her to her senses!!

Does not the sight of an out of control dog hurtling towards a busy road not make you want to hide your eyes and pray rather than laugh?

A dog hell bent on chasing "prey" is not only a danger to the animals it is chasing, but also to itself. It is blind to whatever else might be in it's path. Sometimes there might be a farmer with a gun in it's path. No I see nothing funny in that clip
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:36 PM
you Asked a question about farmers. then gave an example that was not to do with farmers. It is not just farmers who are allowed to shoot out of control dogs the police are allowed to shoot them too aren't they?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

26-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Malka, there WAS a connection between Azz's original post and question and the Fenton thing.

The dog was in an area where dogs are allowed, as were the deer.

On the fells, on country walks, through villages etc. etc., dogs are allowed, and there are sheep..........lots and lots of sheep.

Notices are everywhere asking people to keep their dogs under control, but to be honest, they shouldn't need to be reminded of this.
Was Fenton under control? No he was not.

And was he in an area where sheep are loose? No he was not.

He was in an area where there are deer but no sheep, and to the best of my knowledge farmers are permitted to shoot dogs worrying their sheep but I have no knowledge of what could happen to dogs worrying deer.

And whether Fenton was worrying the deer or not, he was totally out of control.
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »