Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think this is the whizzy new one (but lasts for up to 8 months)
http://press.healthcare.bayer.com/en...4543/2012-0167
Thanks. I was not sure whether it might be that one or the Scalibor collar. I will ask Ram when Pereg goes for her next check-up and blood tests next month.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I am very allergic to flea bites, so I am always checking the dogs and cats. Upto now though we have been flea free for years. BUT.... I found one of my old cat. So I used DE (diatomaceous earth) and smothered the dogs and cats in it outside, you have to be careful not to breath the dust in, and I have to say one of my cats came for a cuddle and a flea fell of and it def was not well....so I think it def worked and is natural and it dosent matter if they lick it when they clean themselves. A lot of people use it for worming, I would too only I forget to put it in their food

BUT.... the down side..... I have a DE mist all over the house, on the furniture, on the carpet and in my bed....
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2013, 09:12 AM
The Seresto collar sounds good (although this sounds worrying: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/foru...d-tick-collar), though I'm not sure if it'd be ok to use as I have a young child around, and surely you'd have to not touch it?
Bonfire
New Member!
Female 

26-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
I am very allergic to flea bites, so I am always checking the dogs and cats. Upto now though we have been flea free for years. BUT.... I found one of my old cat. So I used DE (diatomaceous earth) and smothered the dogs and cats in it outside, you have to be careful not to breath the dust in, and I have to say one of my cats came for a cuddle and a flea fell of and it def was not well....so I think it def worked and is natural and it dosent matter if they lick it when they clean themselves. A lot of people use it for worming, I would too only I forget to put it in their food

BUT.... the down side..... I have a DE mist all over the house, on the furniture, on the carpet and in my bed....
The mist sounds unpleasant! Does it smell, or is it just gross?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
The Seresto collar sounds good (although this sounds worrying: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/foru...d-tick-collar), though I'm not sure if it'd be ok to use as I have a young child around, and surely you'd have to not touch it?
Thank you for reminding me - I vaguely remembered having read something about the Seresto collar on the Epi List a few months ago, so just checked through the archives and it is definitely a no-no for Pereg.

So that just leaves the Scalibor to ask about, as that has not been mentioned on the List that I can find.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 10:19 AM
There is more than one sort of Frontline. And everyone mentions finding fleas on dogs. I am sure you all know that if you find one flea on a dog that means you have far more in the home. The dog is just a roving restaurant for them.

When you have a dog with Flea Allergy Dermatitis you quickly find out that not many 'herbal' or 'home' remedies work as well as the chemical ones as even just ONE bite can send the dog into a frenzy of irritation. The dog and the home has then to be kept really flea free.

I was reading with interest that what we refer to as dog fleas are mainly nowadays cat fleas? But you need a microscope to tell the difference!

Hoppy fleas as I always call them are very attracted to me (same as mozzies are) if I go into a house where they've got them I always get bitten round the ankles - and sometimes the houseowner had no clue they had a flea problem because they didn't ever get bitten and of course dogs 'get used' to having fleas and they do say that they are more likely to 'scratch' if they've only just got them.

Not seeing fleas easily on a dog or cat is no indication that there are none present in the home.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Re Frontline not working any more (tho there are other products you can try but I think most are based on same stuff). I'd ask the vets who said pets fleas develop 'resistance to it' where they got their facts certainly the animal cannot become immune - it doesn't work via the bloodstream. And they are improving these products all the time. From a Flea Fact Web Seminar (not a Frontline promo)

If you see fleas on your cat or dog after treating them, you might think the flea treatment isn’t working. However, modern flea treatments such as FRONTLINE products, are effective at killing fleas within 24 hours of them jumping on pets.

The reason why you’re still seeing fleas is because new fleas can jump on your pet at any time from an infested environment. Each new flea takes up to 24 hours to kill.
Resistance to modern flea control products such as fipronil has not been documented in the field anywhere in the world.*
Pets cannot become immune to FRONTLINE products because they don’t act through a pet’s bloodstream. FRONTLINE products kill fleas on direct contact with the skin and fur.
There is an ongoing debate on the subject but no evidence that fleas have become resistant to the chemical used. And some say that the main problem is owner compliance and

often pet owners become frustrated with the presence of adult fleas on their dogs and cats and come to believe that the Frontline product which they have applied is not working properly. So the pet owner quite naturally changes to a different flea control product after a month or two of using the Frontline product. Once switching over to the new flea product, the flea eggs and flea larvae which had existed in the environment and which have subsequently become adult fleas found on the pet have been reduced or eradicated in number and the pet owner stops seeing live adult fleas on the pet. As a result, a conclusion is incorrectly reached that the Frontline product was ineffective and the new flea product worked wonderfully. Thus, the fleas must have been resistant to the Frontline.
I confess to being one of those owners when I was desperate to stop my Cavvy scratching herself to death.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
The mist sounds unpleasant! Does it smell, or is it just gross?
No, no smell, or grossness, just very dusty. All gone now cos I have hoovered and dusted it settles very quickly.

I also do the carpet and furniture with Indorex. I have not had a problem for years, but I am sure they are cat fleas.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
No, no smell, or grossness, just very dusty. All gone now cos I have hoovered and dusted it settles very quickly.

I also do the carpet and furniture with Indorex. I have not had a problem for years, but I am sure they are cat fleas.
As I said above most fleas on dogs are cat fleas nowadays. Dog fleas are quite rare apparently!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2013, 09:50 PM
We have been using Frontline with no problems. We spend two months in the south of France in summer-- we had a flea thing one year, blasted the house, treated the dogs, and never again since.

There are some natural allopathic things you can do. Brewer's yeast is a natural B vitamin thing that is actually very tasty (try it on popcorn!), most animals like, the smell of which most bloodsuckers don't. You can get it in any health food shop. It'll make your pets' blood stink so things won't want to bite them-- or you, if you're having it too. Another is citrus oil. Eat a grapefruit, then rub the peel all over your pets' beds. Pop orange peels on the radiators in winter to dissipate the oils through your house and make a nice scent. Stick some cloves in them if you want more nice scent! It won't harm any mammals, but will discourage bloodsuckers.

These methods WILL NOT KILL fleas or ticks! They'll just make your home a little less friendly to them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >