Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Thanks! This will definitely be something that I can do in the future. Well the behaviourist who I consulted with is working towards full APDT membership and he recommended these courses. I would like to work towards APDT membership too, as this is the sort of training/behaviour work I'd like to do.
I want to do online courses as I'm working full time in my job at the moment and can't do full time courses or shadow a trainer, so I need a proper foundation of knowledge first (and I've read loads of books by reputable dog experts and will continue to do so in my free time) but I also need something that is proof of my studies.

Possibly, if I can reduce my hours or get a different more flexible job, I can start working as a dog walker and get more experience. Once Ella is confident enough with other dogs I'll start taking her to training sessions which will connect me with more dog-minded people.
It's all a slow process and I know it will take time, but I can start by doing courses and learning as much as possible on the budget I have at the moment.
I don't know your domestic circumstances but think volunteering as a helper at an APDT club may be a better way of gaining experience.

Good luck with your studies. I know that Think Dog has a good reputation. Not sure of the others. If you do a search, I know that Smokeybear has made recommendations in the past.

Nicky
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2013, 09:26 PM
COAPE one is good too.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi I quite agree,there are people from other countries come over here and do courses, also using the internet,they then think that they are expert.its a bit like Nurses 2000,they never saw a ward only once a week,all there training was at college,but they became a higher grade thenthose who had worked on the wards all the time.You have to get up personal with dogs,I also think in some vet courses they learn about behaviour so I dont think its an easy subject to just pick up on the internet. I may be wrong and you may have a natural apitude.Gemini54
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
After years of thinking this was my 'backup' plan or something I would never really have the confidence to do (people wise) I've decided to finally embark on a new career.
So I'm looking to do an online course in dog behaviour/training for the start. I've looked at many courses (that I've been recommended by the behaviourist who came to see Ella) and I narrowed it down to three.

All three seem really good, price wise in the same region but I just can't decide!

I'm wondering if anyone here has done any of these courses and what their experiences are?

COAPE Dogwise stage 1 - Becoming a Better Dog Trainer by Engaging the Mind of the Dog
http://www.coape.co.uk/c01.html

Think Dog! Certificate
http://www.thinkdog.org/products-pag...g-certificate/

Higher Canine Behaviour and Psychology - Diploma
http://www.compass-education.co.uk/o...?product_id=60

COAPE and Think Dog! both seem more practical focused while the compass course seems more academic (also a level 4 course as opposed to level 2 or 3).

I know there have been threads about this before but the ones I could find didn't really answer my questions. So if anyone has any experience with any of these courses I'd be greatful to hear from you!

Thank you
All of the courses you are thinking about are good in their own way - so you are on the right track

I've done some Think Dog and I have friends who work in training and behaviour with me and they have done COAPE. Compass I've not done, but it has a very good reputation. My advice would be to do lots of research and also be sure of how far you want to go, and can afford to go. All the people involved with the courses are very good hands on, plus excellent behaviourists in the Think Dog and COAPE, again I've not good too much info on Compass except I know it is a good course.

One word of caution is that it's hard to actually make a living out of dog training and behaviour - it can be done but you need to go as far as you can with qualifications and it can get expensive!

There are some out there making a living, it helps if you have a partner who has a job as well!

I would also suggest doing loads of reading by people such as Gwen Bailey, Pat McConnell, Sarah Whitehead, Jean Donaldson, Brenda Aloff, James O Heare, Nicole Wilde, etc. A good place to look at for good books and dvds is Positive Animal Solutions

Also if you read Dogs Today, they have regular articles written by Sarah Whitehead, also COAPE members, etc.

Best of luck, and do your research!

Wys
x
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Aww thank you. There's loads of sort courses you can do too, just for your own interest. I did a weekend course in pet behaviour before I did my degree and loved it. It taught me as knew loads about dog body language...and virtually nothing about horse body language!
There's a thread on another forum about that. Don't think I can link to it?

Yes, thanks. I have done a few seminars and a couple of 1 day courses, as it's my hobby

I'm lucky enough to be going to the Kikopup seminar in Windsor later this year. Hubby insisted I go "As it's only down the road and I would regret not going" Too right! I am sooooooooo excited. Luddy expensive though but I'm not going to argue.

The on-line courses quite expensive. Think Dog one day seminars are valuable to professional trainers, no doubt and they would be tax deductible but rather expensive for a hobbyist. For a one day course, I could buy all 3 volumes of the Handbook of Applied Dog Behaviour and Training. I have 1 so that's next Christmas and birthday sorted

Is your degree in animal behaviour? There was nothing like that when I went to college. I ended up in food technology
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
There's a thread on another forum about that. Don't think I can link to it?

Yes, thanks. I have done a few seminars and a couple of 1 day courses, as it's my hobby

I'm lucky enough to be going to the Kikopup seminar in Windsor later this year. Hubby insisted I go "As it's only down the road and I would regret not going" Too right! I am sooooooooo excited. Luddy expensive though but I'm not going to argue.

The on-line courses quite expensive. Think Dog one day seminars are valuable to professional trainers, no doubt and they would be tax deductible but rather expensive for a hobbyist. For a one day course, I could buy all 3 volumes of the Handbook of Applied Dog Behaviour and Training. I have 1 so that's next Christmas and birthday sorted

Is your degree in animal behaviour? There was nothing like that when I went to college. I ended up in food technology
No it's in Early Childhood Studies, I ended up lecturing and assessing in Early Years Care and Education...but won't be going back to assessing once I start work again. Once I've finished my five year maternity break I'm hoping to start a small dog walking business and work at my friends new outdoor preschool !
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I tried not to answer to this post as I don't like starting arguments here, but I failed.
I find this a very openly discouraging and frankly useless reply.
It doesn't answer any of the quite specific questions that I asked and it even slightly implies I know nothing about this business and am merely a person wanting to make money from dominating dogs.
This is from someone who knows nothing about me or what I've read or what experiences I have.

These courses are written by current dog trainers and behaviourists and are meant to give people a way into the profession. It does not mean (and I never said!) that they automatically make a person a good dog trainer, BUT THEY ARE A FOUNDATION OF KNOWLEDGE AND GIVE THE PERSON VALUABLE CREDIT.
I personally would never get help from a behaviourist who's just read books and has met lots of dogs. That means nothing too.

My question was if anyone has done these courses and what their experiences were. I know this is an open forum where everybody can post whatever they want, but I find this reply utterly pointless so I don't know why you felt the need to post it and basically implied that I'm a dog trainer wannabe with no knowledge of the industry who wants a shortcut via the internet.

Sorry, I know my response might be a bit over the top but I think it needed to be said.
I really don't know where you got all that from my reply?
I didn't imply you know nothing about the business,
I didn't imply that you want to make money from dominating dogs,
I didn't say that you thought the courses would make you a good trainer.
I didn't imply you were looking for a short cut via the internet,
And I twice wished you good luck.

You seem to have read a lot into my reply that simply wasn't there.
I was actually giving a personal view that I think most of the online courses are a total waste of money, designed to make money and not necessarily good trainers.

Now I really am getting frustrated with people who just seem to be looking for their next argument the moment they get a reply they don't like, or read in the wrong way.
I'm not sure forums are for me

I still wish you luck _/|\_
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I really don't know where you got all that from my reply?
I didn't imply you know nothing about the business,
I didn't imply that you want to make money from dominating dogs,
I didn't say that you thought the courses would make you a good trainer.
I didn't imply you were looking for a short cut via the internet,
And I twice wished you good luck.

You seem to have read a lot into my reply that simply wasn't there.
I was actually giving a personal view that I think most of the online courses are a total waste of money, designed to make money and not necessarily good trainers.

Now I really am getting frustrated with people who just seem to be looking for their next argument the moment they get a reply they don't like, or read in the wrong way.
I'm not sure forums are for me

I still wish you luck _/|\_
Ok well I admitted my response was probably over the top. And I didn't mean to upset. I simply felt that if that had been me 7 years go reading this reply I would have felt discouraged, and to be honest a little bit told off like a child. And I think you posted your opinion without properly reading my question, as I made it quite clear this will only be the starting point.
I've had a lot of people telling me I'm doing the wrong thing in my life so I might be a bit sensitive, which you couldn't know, obviously.

And I'd like to add I really don't like starting arguments and rarely post when topics get too heated.

So my apologies and thank you for the good luck wishes.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I don't know your domestic circumstances but think volunteering as a helper at an APDT club may be a better way of gaining experience.

Good luck with your studies. I know that Think Dog has a good reputation. Not sure of the others. If you do a search, I know that Smokeybear has made recommendations in the past.

Nicky
Thanks! That's the thing at the moment, I won't be able to do much volunteering as I'm working full time and as things go I have to work full time. I have arrangements with my boss to cut back sometime in the future so I will definitely look into that, but for the moment I'm just going to have to home study and train with my dog (who's got a few issues to 'cure').

Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I quite agree,there are people from other countries come over here and do courses, also using the internet,they then think that they are expert.its a bit like Nurses 2000,they never saw a ward only once a week,all there training was at college,but they became a higher grade thenthose who had worked on the wards all the time.You have to get up personal with dogs,I also think in some vet courses they learn about behaviour so I dont think its an easy subject to just pick up on the internet. I may be wrong and you may have a natural apitude.Gemini54
Well that's true but on the other hand someone who's had dogs all their life doesn't necessarily understand how they function and how to modify their behaviour if they cause problems in our society. A foundation of knowledge is essential to be a dog trainer, practical experience isn't always enough.
I'm consciously choosing the more difficult courses (that's why at the moment I tend towards the level 4 course) as it's more academic and can contribute to higher and accredited diplomas.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
All of the courses you are thinking about are good in their own way - so you are on the right track

I've done some Think Dog and I have friends who work in training and behaviour with me and they have done COAPE. Compass I've not done, but it has a very good reputation. My advice would be to do lots of research and also be sure of how far you want to go, and can afford to go. All the people involved with the courses are very good hands on, plus excellent behaviourists in the Think Dog and COAPE, again I've not good too much info on Compass except I know it is a good course.

One word of caution is that it's hard to actually make a living out of dog training and behaviour - it can be done but you need to go as far as you can with qualifications and it can get expensive!

There are some out there making a living, it helps if you have a partner who has a job as well!

I would also suggest doing loads of reading by people such as Gwen Bailey, Pat McConnell, Sarah Whitehead, Jean Donaldson, Brenda Aloff, James O Heare, Nicole Wilde, etc. A good place to look at for good books and dvds is Positive Animal Solutions

Also if you read Dogs Today, they have regular articles written by Sarah Whitehead, also COAPE members, etc.

Best of luck, and do your research!

Wys
x
Thanks Wys! I'm very tempted by the COAPE, because then I can add more courses and work towards higher degrees.
I'm well aware that it's not a 'money' profession. But if I'm honest that's always been the case with me. And if you look at the situation in britain, it's not looking too great anyway in any profession. I could for example stay a hotel receptionist and be paid minimum wage (even thought I went to university and have a bachelors degree), be miserable every day but know that I always have the minimum of money coming in.
OR I can do something that REALLY interests me. And in my experience, when something really grasps your interest, it's easier for you to focus on it and really make it work.
So yeah..

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
That sounds like a good plan. I used to be an APDT member but let my membership lapse when I moved away to go to Swansea University and couldn't find any relevant courses nearby to keep up my proffessional development. Would love to still be a member, but will have to start again later on.

Good luck!
Oh so did you work as a dog trainer? Or behaviourist? Well you know it's never too late to start or start again, so I'm sure you'll get back into it in no time when you think it's time again
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
I worked as a trainer a couple of evenings a week. But I worked for a behaviourist so was lucky enough to be able to accompany him on behavioural assessment visits now and again.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >