Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
So whats going to happen when he's bigger if your Mum is afraid of him?

Pups don't live in crates, it should just be his bed or a place of safety when you can't watch him.

What you describe is cruelty in my view
Hi Sorry but a Husky is a vibrant working dog,they spend a lot of time outside in zero temps,and you want to cage him,shame on you,if your mother is scared get a tiny dog and you will both cope,but please like the other posters have said,let him out of the cage.Sorry for being so harsh but its the dog welfare that concerns me crystalgirl
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
I'd whine if I was in a crate all day..it's nothing short of cruelty, why own a dog to shut him in a crate all day?

I have been crate training my puppy and he only goes in at night (5 hours at most) and for a short period mid morning and mid afternoon. Already after 3 weeks, he's pretty much toilet trained and has started going to the door if he needs to go!
over here not once we do use those crates for our dogs at home,
they are allowed to move free in the house, also at night
is a room taboo for them, maybe the bedroom, there simply will keep closed the door
but to cage them in a crate inside the house? no way

I did see and read about that the very first time, when I joined Dogsey and that was already kinda shocking to me to be honest

but how that Husky will get held is really more than shocking!
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Malpeki,

Crate training is a very popular method of house training puppies. I was sceptical at first but as long as it is done correctly it is not cruel. Dougal loves his crate and is allowed to wander freely at all other times and very often we find he goes back in his crate to sleep of his own accord. Also, this is only a short term thing while we house train him and also allows us to leave him home alone for short periods knowing he is safe and not getting up to mischief!

As shane pointed out in his post, the crate is his bed and somewhere safe for when we cant keep an eye on him.

There is a huge difference between using a crate sensibly and locking a dog in one for the majority of the day and night.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
I completely agree bones, Betty is safer in her crate when I am out, and she doesn't mind at all a couple of hours rest. What isn't OK is what the OP is doing. Must admit I have shed a tear about the poor dog shut in so much.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
Malpeki,

Crate training is a very popular method of house training puppies. I was sceptical at first but as long as it is done correctly it is not cruel. Dougal loves his crate and is allowed to wander freely at all other times and very often we find he goes back in his crate to sleep of his own accord. Also, this is only a short term thing while we house train him and also allows us to leave him home alone for short periods knowing he is safe and not getting up to mischief!

As shane pointed out in his post, the crate is his bed and somewhere safe for when we cant keep an eye on him.

There is a huge difference between using a crate sensibly and locking a dog in one for the majority of the day and night.
well, that's what I meant, I learnt to understand how and for what reason you're using those crates over there,
but you can imagine how that appears to you, if you never ever heard nor did see something like that your whole life, then you see pics on here, dogs in cages?

that WAS shocking firstly

but that of course has nothing, nothing at all to do with how that poor dog gets held
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi Malpeki

I too found the idea of caging my dog shocking. I don't cage him but if I ever got a second dog then I would certainly consider cage training for when I leave them alone.

From what I've read on here and in books caging is quite common and really can be of benefit to an anxious dog or any dog that likes to have its own space.

I'd be happy to see him go in a cage voluntarily but I don't think I'd be able to close the door on him

But then I'm too soft with him.

Sandy

Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
well, that's what I meant, I learnt to understand how and for what reason you're using those crates over there,
but you can imagine how that appears to you, if you never ever heard nor did see something like that your whole life, then you see pics on here, dogs in cages?

that WAS shocking firstly

but that of course has nothing, nothing at all to do with how that poor dog gets held
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
This is a baby puppy & giving advice to take a large breed 12 week old puppy for long walks appalls me as does keeping the puppy in a crate

Keeping a puppy in a crate is not a method of toilet training

The correct way to toilet train a puppy is to go outside with the puppy every hour, whenever the puppy has woken up, just been fed or when the puppy shows the signs of needing to toilet(circling/starting to squat etc) As soon as the puppy toilets outside you should reward the puppy

The crate training is for overnight training & to ensure the puppy has enough rest not for restricting the puppy & force it to hold for long periods of time

If the puppy toilets inside, clean it up, remove the scent from the area using dilute biological washing liquid & blotting dry Do not tell the puppy off or give the puppy disapproving body language
dogcomingsoon
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:08 PM
A friend of mine has 4 adults dogs varying in age from 3 to 12yrs. They were crate trained as pups and as she often fosters a rescue puppy a crate is sometimes in the house still. Without exception they all aim straight for the crate and get in for a snooze.
It looks cruel to us sometimes maybe, but to her dogs its a cosy den and a real treat!
A world away from the abject cruelty of keeping the dog locked up as in the OP.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Quite right - I overlooked the fact that he was a large breed and still quite young. I only detected the fact that he was restless at night and thought it might be lack of exercise or boredom.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
This is a baby puppy & giving advice to take a large breed 12 week old puppy for long walks appalls me
taylor
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2013, 02:54 AM
I am sorry I know all mad with me. so, this opening my mind. I talked to my mom and showing this post and how everyone react, she understand and she leave, and my pup has a freedom in the house now, but I still haven't allow him to go to bedroom until I potty train him. I moving to paper train him so i don't have to use crate in any way and I also bought an exercise pen for him, i using it only when I'm cleaning the mess (because he likes to eat his own poop).

He still going to bark though even he is not crated, but i manage to play with him every time he barks. So relax, I do the best I could to fix my mistake.
Hope my puppy will have a happy time now after.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >