View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Don't get me wrong, I was concerned about the operation for Cassie at 6 months, but our vet is sound and at the end of the day I took their advice. Didn't stop me feeling sorry for her and worrying about her though
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
That article by shadowboxer is priceless - i have even shown people who are interested in breeding rats this article and said it works on the same principles - brilliantly written - important article.

xx
Thank you Zoundz, your feedback is much appreciated You are quite right, the principle applies to any of our companion animals.

Alsationpup, the optimum age at which to spay a bitch is a matter of continuing discussion among both vets and lay persons. The best thing to do is to research thoroughly, weigh up various opinions, and then you will be in the position to make an informed decision
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Good advice Shadow
angela turner
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Someone wrote to me this morning , They want an unspeyed rescue bitch ( pedigree) because their vets told them speying increases the risk of cancer in the reproductive tract and ovary's ( How when speyed bitches dont have the anymore ? ) and increases mammary problems!

I'm not sure wether she is just goading me into an argument , its an excuse or if she really believes it !

All my own girls are now speyed, mainly for health reasons but also because phantom pregnancy's made them very depressed and I would worry about them ever being stolen and used for breeding.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 02:57 PM
IMO 6 months is too young to spey, if I intended on having a bitch done I would do it after her first season as I did with Kip (just so happened she was a late starter and was 18 months before she was speyed). My other dog Cassy was speyed last Thursday (she is 3). I was not certain whether I wanted to breed from her but after some skin issues I decided against it she went a while without being speyed and then recently I had a pyo scare which I never want to experience again. Whilst it is a very personal decision in my opinion it is worth having a bitch speyed if you do not plan on breeding her. These are only my opinions ultimatley it's your decision and you are responsible for her. The health risks for me to a bitch left unspeyed far outweigh the risk of the operation and in the future I will have all my bitches speyed if I do not intend on breeding. Good luck whatever you decided.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I with Mini on this one

If you're not going to breed from her and if she were mine I'd get her spayed, accidents can happen, ie if she got out or away from you whilst she was in season and got with a male then you are going to have an accidental litter of puppies
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I am of the opinion ..if it aint broke don't fix it

but that is my personal opinion ..........
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Its compleatly down to personal preference, if i had a bitch that didnt excel to the highest relms of agility i would probably have her speyed, i would only breed if she was an exceptional working dog. Same with a male, and more to the point my border collie TJ.
angela turner
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
I am of the opinion ..if it aint broke don't fix it

but that is my personal opinion ..........
The problem is though when it does get broke its often too late to fix it.

Elsie ( , she was a rescue , sorry for those who didn't know her ) developed signs of pyomtra the day she died . Its sad that after the way she fought to keep going, A preventable illness was the last straw for her poor heart

She also had mammary Tumors. She had never been bred from so there was no benefit to her not being speyed.

I didn't used to believe in speying , our first cavalier was about 11 before she was speyed ( pyomtra ) and I didnt have my other girls done until they where about 5 ( The vet said Becky was in the early stages of pyo when I had her done so It was just in time )

But it is up to the owner to decide whats best for their situation , just giving my point of view on it
Alsatianpup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 04:06 PM
from what i have read and researched I will be getting her spayed I feel it is the right descion for me and Misha. The only question is when ?. I feel 6 months it too young think i'll need to research this more. Although I am told she is going to be a big dog I don't want to do anything to stunt her growth so may need to wait until she is fully grown
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »