register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Pork and Lamb are quite fatty, as your dog has never had natural food there won't be the correct enzymes present in the stomach to help process it, and it being fatty exacerbates the problem. You need to start with something easy to digest, as Malka said, chicken, although lots of people are scared of feeding chicken legs and wings thanks to the myths and scare stories spread by people.
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-01-2013, 10:53 AM
If the bones are raw, not cooked, there is no problem as far as my friend has told me with feeding chicken bones.

Personally I mince any raw meat and bones (other than a big cow leg bone) into a fine paste that way my dog who doesnt tend to chew very well isnt swallowing chunks of bone and therefore won't have any issues with blockages.

I use a course mincer first then put it back through on fine so the bones are no bigger than a very very small petite pois.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Pork probably wasn't the best choice for a first bone, I would start off with the odd chicken wing or if it's just for dental issues I'd give a knuckle joint or marrow bone which last for ages. No point in mincing your bones up as that just defeats any teeth cleaning properties gained from a good old gnaw.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2