View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 10:47 AM
It's always changing tbh. When we had 5 they all slept together in the utility room which is quite large, probably bigger than a lot of kitchens. Diesel my staffie has always preferred his crate tbh and could frequently be found upside down in there during the day and started asking to go in there at bedtime, so we let him. I set up a crate for my Pug who hadn't yet arrived and Frankie my terrier commandeered it at bedtime. So that was 3 in the utility and 2 in crates. I bought and set up another crate for the impending arrival of Tucson my Pug and she arrived and took up residence next to the other 2 in the conservatory. Milan always has a crate set up for her when she's in season for a bit of peace and at the end of her last season was very reluctant to give it up, so that was now 4 in crates and 2 in the utility. The 2nd Pug arrived and went straight into her crate. Recently Syd my male Dobermann has been waking me up at 3am because Rio my female Dobermann has nicked his bed, after putting up with that all week I've dug out her old crate and put that up in the conservatory and moved Diesels crate into the utility with Syd who is currently the only one not crated, but at least no one can nick his bed and he's got nothing to whinge about. So we currently have 2 massive crates and a smallish one in the conservatory, 1 medium crate and a massive raised dog bed in the utility and 2 small crates in one of the spare bedrooms for the Pugs. No doubt it will all change again.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
With my present two they are kept apart Zymi has hall and stairs Cava in the living room. This is because Zymi can have problems with redirected aggression onto Cava if door bell goes or their is noise in the street.

Previous dogs were together with run off ground floor
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Little One could be left all day with the run of the bungalow, although I was never out for more than four or five hours maximum. When Pereg arrived I did not leave them alone for long, but they still had the run of the place - no interior doors meant no choice.

After LO died Pereg went to daycare if I was going to be out for a few hours but now unless it is really urgent I do not go out for more than half an hour as I do not like leaving her.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 11:30 AM
My two have the run of the kitchen, breakfast room and hall with all other doors securely shut We also have a stair-gate to stop them going upstairs.

We have glass front doors (a pain) and I think they just sit there waiting for someone to come back. On the other hand they can see out and watch the birds, cats and postman
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Dogs get kitchen (it's also away from the party wall so there's less chance of annoying the neighbours if one of them does woof), cat gets lounge.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Living room and hallway, we shut them out of bedroom and batroom as they can get up at the windows and bark, also shut them out of the kitchen as they will open the fridge if we aren't here and make their own snacks
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Our two get the living room and kitchen with the door to upstairs closed. To be honest they are both in the exact same upside down position on the sofa when we get home.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
run of downstairs mainly but that is only 2 very small rooms. I would leave her shut in kitchen but the sun is on it all day and it gets really hot so she needs to get away to cool down
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
He has the run of downstairs (he could get upstairs if he wanted to, but he's never shown any interest). He's not normally left for more than a couple of hours. Generally we find he's not moved from the bed in his crate.

(He was very nervous and insecure when we got him, so we got the crate and covered it so he could have it as a cosy den. We've got as far as removing the sheet from it, but he was less than impressed when we tried removing the crate so we let him have it back. The door to it is always open apart from when I want to keep him OUT of it for some reason).
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
If it's warm weather or very dry and I'm not going out for too long, The dogs are locked into the kitchen (from the house side). The back door is left open so they can get out onto the patio if necessary or if they want to. The also have access to "their" room which is cooler in the summer. This is the old concrete shed that is attached to the rear of the kitchen via a small walkway/den type thingy.

If I am going out for longer or if it's bad weather/very cold, They're locked into the kitchen as before but still have access to their room. The difference is that I keep the back doors (both from the kitchen and their room) closed so they can't get out into the garden.

I used to separate them at times but now they all stay together. I do make a point of ensuring too that their collars are removed. As a rule, they only wear them to go out for walks etc. They're never left overnight or alone whilst wearing them.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >