View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi Debbie it is difficult because you have only had this dog a couple of weeks and she will still be settling in so you may not yet have seen all her behaviours.

I think in your position until you have had chance to get her more used to seeing dogs at a distance and to perfect the 'watch me', when you are out and see other dogs approaching that you think may cause a problem I would turn and walk the other way/cross the road so that she can't make eye contact. I wouldn't tell her off or sooth her, instead I would adopt a bright and breezy attitude and ignore the existence of the other dogs. Telling her off would give her more reasons to dislike the presence of other dogs.

I'm a dog walker and as she can't be walked with other dogs I'm walking her separately twice a day which means I'm currently doing 6 walks a day!
I am afraid whatever measures you take some dogs always remain dog aggressive and it may never be possible to walk her with the other dogs. You can't risk causing harm to other peoples dogs.

There is always the option of seeing a behaviourist, your vet should be able to refer you to one and if you have your dog insured the cost may be covered by your insurance.
I would want someone who belongs to an organisation with a code of conduct like the APBC.
There is information and a list on this site..
http://www.apbc.org.uk/apbc/memberlist
That is not to say there aren't other good behaviourists out there but I would choose one with care.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I think most aggression in dogs is fear based in one way or another, and its a bit like a piece f string if and how much it can be cured , in many cases its down to management.

Owning a DA dog , I can give you a little insight to my world, I think for a start you have to decide if you are the right home for this girl, (given your job) I have no doubt your commitment is 100% , but you have to face the fact, you may never get her over her issues, and it will be a case of management...(as with us).

The link Mini put up is worth looking at, it may give you some things to work with.

Regarding the situation you described, her laying down and you not being able to move her..which then escalates the situation.

Something I would try, it may give you a little more control if this happens again, is to buy a headcollar and a double ended lead (halti do a good one) get her used to the head collar first obviously, then when walking her, you can attach the lead to her normal collar and the headcollar, this will give you a little more leverage when you see something coming, you will be able to bring the headcollar into force (along with her collar) to distract her away from the other dog....i.e turning her away and walking the other way, stopping her dropping to the ground, along with being able to get her to focus on you instead of the other dog.

You need to ask yourself , are you prepared for the long haul with her, this means years of managing her behaviour, you may be able to resolve her behaviour , BUT you may not, so you have to be aware off all outcomes.

My girl is 10 in a few weeks, she has mellowed over the years, we have never been able to fix her problem, we would never trust her to meet and greet another dog , we can manage her outbursts, by 1) avoiding situations, that means staying away from other dogs.......can you do that.

On the occasion she does meet other dogs, we are 100% in control, and she is never off lead.

As she has aged she is no longer as up for it as she was when she was young, but she can still let herself down on occasion when street walking and do her thing..( scrape her feet along the ground whilst turning cartwheels) this does not happen often now, but I guess she will have the odd moment till she pops her clogs.. for the most part now, as long as dogs don't push a button, she will walk by nicely.

I am giving you an insight of what it may be like for years to come, you may resolve your situation, your girl may not have the issues mine did , or you may be a better trainer than me, but from my experience I feel these issues are more likely to stay with them, and depending on the dog it will respond differently to any rehab....

You seem committed, and I hope you can help her over her issues, but you do need to be realistic, and acknowledge , what if you cant make her better and can your lifestyle adjust to her needs.

Good luck.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2