Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
But have you come across any that have suffered from not having annual boosters?
No.

Three previous dogs in our family were fine after having first vax, boosters then no more. Another died from distemper in the first year after being vaccinated for that disease.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
This. I've personally never come across any dog who suffered any adverse affects from yearly vaccination.
I had 3 dogs die from auto immune disease caused by vaccination and I now have another who is suffering from annual booster and my vet has said she must have no more.
Its more common than thought. I would never give yearly boosters as even the vaccine manufacturers say every 3 years is enough and they could last much longer than that, maybe lifelong.
My healthiest and longest lived dogs never had any boosters. Many good kennels will take dogs without yearly boosters if you provide the results of a titre test done within the last 6 months.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
You have to view it with circumspection.

For instance, we recently visited Southern Ireland where there is no rabies. Nor is there any rabies in the UK.

Yet the Pet Passport requires a rabies vaccine for travel - even though they say they are not checking but it is a requirement.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I had 3 dogs die from auto immune disease caused by vaccination and I now have another who is suffering from annual booster and my vet has said she must have no more.
Its more common than thought. I would never give yearly boosters as even the vaccine manufacturers say every 3 years is enough and they could last much longer than that, maybe lifelong.
Are boosters actually another full dose? I suspect they are.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Cariad has a dreadful reaction to the booster, she started staggering about and vomiting, I got her back to the surgery and she gradually settled down. I had her done once more, and she immediately suffered some sort of reaction for around a week, having dire rear and being under the weather. Lona had her booster for the first time in 3 years this time last year as I was mating her, but Cariad will not be having it again. All my puppies have 1st vax before they leave here, and I advise my owners that really they only need to be done every 3 years after their first course.
bella7
New Member!
Female 

12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
My dog is due his booster in January and I'm not sure if he should have it or not. The last time he had it his skin flared up really bad, so he ended up on steriods and antibiotics. He also his kennel cough for the first time this summer as he was staying at a doggy minder when we where on holiday and he wasn't too good after that just generally lethargic and not himself.

Not sure if it was the booster or just coincidence this happened?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Annual full boosters are not required The main vaccine companies have now changed their protocols & if you want to check have a look on the NOAH site & only one vaccine company advises annual vaccinations & it is not the main vaccine used in the UK

My father's Cavalier died within 3 hours of having his annual Lepto Vaccination & a subsequent PM showed it was a reaction to the vaccine that caused his death
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Rocky only had his puppy vaccinations as I personally do not feel they need annual boosters - humans don't so why should dogs?

This is an interesting article by Catherine O’Driscoll: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8003
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
You have to view it with circumspection.

For instance, we recently visited Southern Ireland where there is no rabies. Nor is there any rabies in the UK.

Yet the Pet Passport requires a rabies vaccine for travel - even though they say they are not checking but it is a requirement.
It is a requirement for a pet passport but you don't need a pet passport to travel from the UK to Ireland.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 02:20 AM
We get both cat & dog annual boosters. Two of the cats have bad reactions so the vaccines are split into two visits.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »