View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Lots of good advice already but just in case you haven't done it so far, always make sure you only say the cue word 'down' as Teddy lies down while still in the teaching phase.

If you say it when he's sitting and he doesn't actually understand what 'down' means he can't obey you.

Only ask him to 'down' when you feel sure he has made the association between the cue word and the behaviour you want.

I always use praise and an ear rub with any form of titbit, it makes phasing out the food easier if praise and petting have been paired with the food befofe you try to wean the titbits out.
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Aye aye captain, hear you loud and clear... Started giving him from the other hand but still having a treat in the luring hand now he's constantly looking at the other hand instead, but still going down.... Making progress
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sukuya View Post
Aye aye captain, hear you loud and clear... Started giving him from the other hand but still having a treat in the luring hand now he's constantly looking at the other hand instead, but still going down.... Making progress
Then reward from the hand he is not looking at.
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

27-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes I got it... I f@#&ing got it.. I got him to recognize an open hand means lie down and I don't even have to say "down", so much anymore as long as he thinksiI have some treat... Been 3 days and feels so good to finally get the end result.. But I'm wondering what should I teach next... He's not really not ready for stay since he's got some separation anxiety issues.. Maybe handshake or speak or jump up, and any ideas
boneo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Sukuya View Post
Yes I got it... I f@#&ing got it.. I got him to recognize an open hand means lie down and I don't even have to say "down", so much anymore as long as he thinksiI have some treat... Been 3 days and feels so good to finally get the end result.. But I'm wondering what should I teach next... He's not really not ready for stay since he's got some separation anxiety issues.. Maybe handshake or speak or jump up, and any ideas
Depends on whether you want to teach tricks or useful pieces of behaviour for 'real life'.

If you choose handshake, have your dog in a Sit, have a treat in one hand, face your dog and hold the hand with the food under his nose. He will probably try to paw your hand to get it to open to get the food. As soon as he paws open your hand and let him have the treat and praise him.

After a couple of goes, gently hold his paw with your thumb for a second or two as you open your hand, then reward him and praise.

Gradually extend the length of time you hold the paw over the next few goes.

When you can hold the paw for a few seconds, extend your hand without a treat in it. When he reaches to paw your hand, open it, hold his paw, shake it, praise him and give food from the other hand.

Move on to labelling him extending his paw to touch your outstretched hand with whatever verbal cue you want to use. Hold and shake his paw praise and treat. After a few more goes stop giving the treat just give your verbal cue, shake and praise. Mine have learned to do that behaviour on cue in just a few minutes.

If your dog has SA it shouldn't prevent him fron learning Stay provided you don't do any out-of-sight Stays for a while. You can still teach him the basics of remaining in whatever position you cue him for with you being just a short distance away.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:46 AM
A useful thing to teach early on is 'leave it' and 'take it'
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

28-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Boneo... Thanks for the advice bro I think I'll be getting to the handshaking as soon as the lie down is second nature.. But I do want to ask Angie how do you teach take it and leave it.. Does it add up to fetching?
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9gTe0jPJbU

Kikopup videos are a great source of basic tuition for many training needs. 'Leave it' and 'take it' were high on my priority list when Molly was a puppy, mainly as a safety measure, so she wouldn't eat/chew/mouth anything that she shouldn't have or was potentially dangerous.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2