Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
TBF. there are a lot of foods on the supermarket shelves (for human and pet) that I wouldnt touch with someone elses barge pole.

Harringtons, Arden Grange, Lilys Kitchen to name but a few can be found in supermarkets. Lilys is totally organic too
Only in Waitrose, surely?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, Ocado

But, if you cant get there, then there is always Amazon
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I can proudly say I have never set foot in a Waitrose in my life. Though there is a little one in town...next door to Poundland. I always thought that was funny.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I only started to use Ocado, because of a voucher I was given. Have discovered that they are so much cheaper than Tesco and Sainsbugs (not to mention, way better service!)
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Kibo came from his breeder on Skinners puppy kibble ( the working dog one ). He's still on it, although I do chuck a couple of spoonfuls of Butchers Tripe from a can in with it too. He's done great on it, his poos are generally good, he has a nice healthy coat and I find it a reasonable price.

TBH, I'll probably try him on Skinners adult food when the time comes to change him over too.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by labaddicted91 View Post
I must admit, with my first dog who was a lab, my parents made the choice of food and it was *shock horror* tesco premium kibble.

I had to feed this for a while when we were going through a financial rough patch. It's not what I would want to feed from choice, it did give Guinness very evil smelling wind, but his poo stayed the same and his coat didn't change.

He's back on his Skinner's Duck and Rice with odd raw meals now though. The air in here is now breathable again.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I gather that Orijen has been voted the best dry dog food again and having tried lots of different brands, Orijen has suited my dogs best. It is pricey, but you feed less than a premium brand and I do believe you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your new pup when you get him/her. Very exciting
houndi
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:14 PM
i feed all mine royal canin,im sure they do one for labs,
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2012, 09:27 PM
[I think they are being weaned onto hills science plan if I remember correctly?!]

I feed my Lancashire heeler on Hills Science Plan & Hills Natures Best; she has been on this since she was about 10 weeks old and she's almost 2 now (June) & we have had no problems. She's not a greedy dog and just has her kibble plus home-made treats; I only buy dentastix, jumbones & rawhide rolls. I love making my own treats as I know exactly what she is getting
Good luck with your puppy
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:48 AM
We feed James Wellbeloved: originally owing to an intolerance; now because it's good, they like it, and they're used to it. I've tasted it myself, actually. It's not bad. You can really taste the beetroot. Benefit: poops tend to be compact and not all that stinky. Burns is another one that is very good, but it's even more expensive.

If you're looking for something good but a little less on the wallet killing side, Chappie is often recommended. They do a tinned wet food-- very fishy; be prepared for smell-- and a dry kibble which, while not as appealing as James Wellbeloved, is perfectly fine and doesn't have a lot of the ghastly fillers that commercial dog foods have.

With puppies there are always going to be times when you need to give them something a little more or a little less. I would heartily encourage you to invest in a rice cooker. Yeah, you can make rice in a pot, but you have to pay attention and all... it'll save you time and effort. They can often be had from Asian grocery stores for a fraction of high street prices (about £20 for a small one), and if you like rice, you will use that thing all the time. Shove rice, water, carrots, peas, egg or defrosted chicken or fish all together in there and you have a ready, easily-digested dog dinner in 20 minutes. Just remember to let it cool. Once you get used to it you'll be using it for your own dinner too. Seriously, those things are great.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2