Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 07:48 AM
She is absolutely gorgeous
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Oh she is a little SMASHER! It's difficult not to spoil and pamper cute little dogs. But, because I'd always had bigger dogs (what my family call 'proper' dogs) before I had cute little ones - I made myself treat them much the same.

Only difference really is that the whippersnapper is allowed in my bedroom. But she isn't a lapdog at all and never snuggles up in bed. Only time she 'snuggles' is when she is bored of me working on the laptop and jams herself in behind me on my typing chair!

I also went for a quite 'independent' breed this time - having had a totally dependent (but absolutely adorable) Cavalier KC Spaniel last time. I wanted a dog that did not stress out if left or boarded and who didn't worry if I left the room or follow me everywhere.

I know nuffink about approved dog training methods really but have managed to have well behaved and clean dogs. My only tip would be - BE CONSISTENT. Bit the same as I was bringing my kids up! I've found both kids and dogs like routine.

No good saying no, no a thousand times no - if you are going to RELENT if they just 'keep on' lol! And N - O spells NO with me - it doesn't spell MAYBE! And don't expect 'instant' results - but I've found it usually only takes about 3 days maximum of following a consistent routine for teaching them something (or not to do something) for the penny to drop.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I agree with smokeybear, Gwen Bailey's books are very helpful and useful, and if you can't get to a puppy class then she also has a book about how to teach the basic commands and responses. I would recommend trying to find a Puppy School class (this is Gwen's franchise of classes, that all run to her specifications and are checked routinely by her). For more information or to get the books go to www.puppyschool.co.uk (although the books are often cheaper on Amazon )
I would recommend taking her out into the garden with some toys off her lead/harness and work on the harness and lead indoors. Once she is more comfortable with each I would add them together.
Elia
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I've been so busy with Layla I haven't been online very much - I'm totally besotted! (and jenny.g, she is, isn't she If you'd like more pics she now has a photobucket album: http://photobucket.com/laylapapillon )

I can't believe how much she's come on since I posted two weeks ago. She now loves going outside, both to the garden and to the park. On one of our first park trips, we met a lovely group of dog owners who encouraged me to let her off-lead (I would never have dared otherwise). She loves it, and is a dream off-lead - velcro dog is right!

The only trouble is I think I've spoiled her for walking on-lead - she's okay on pavement, but as soon as she reaches the smallest bit of grass she lies down and gives me a guilt-inducing look, and needs a tug to move - which leads me onto my current main worry...

I don't like walking her in a collar, but can't find a suitable harness. I finally found a collar to fit her, and which she is comfortable in, but her little neck is so dainty I'm scared of hurting her with even a gentle tug.

I've read loads of contradictory advice about whether harnesses or collars are best for small dogs, but I think I'd feel happier with a harness. I have two at the moment; the original one from the local pet shop, which fastens over her chest, but which she still hates - it is quite stiff and ill-fitting.

I then bought this one, which fits nicely round her chest and she seems comfier in - but it goes on over the head, and because of her huge ears it's too tight for her to get on and off comfortably.

I'm looking for a soft harness which fastens without going over the head. Our new park doggie friends recommend Puppia, but they fit over-the-head so I don't think will suit my huge-eared, small chested puppy. Any recommendations would be welcome

[I realise this is a little off-topic - apologies mods. I can post a new thread re the harness search if preferable]

Edit: and thanks SarahJade and smokeybear, will check out Gwen Bailey
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:08 AM
I had to pop in just to say
Squeal! what a gorgeous puppy!

ITA that Gwen Bailey books are great. I recently bought "How to train a superdog" by Gwen Baily and it is so easy to read and use.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Bella's first harness was a cat harness. Couldn't get a doggy one small enough over here. I've in fact never found another one to fit her now that is really comfy. The adjustment buckles always seem to end up under her oxters and it's obvious she doesn't like it. So I now keep her in wide, soft collars when out (she never wears anything indoors).

But the easiest harness I had was a sort of 'sling' affair, soft meshy padded and you just put it under her belly and then clipped the lead through the rings (I am not describing this well!) I actually got it from a Chinese Seller on eBay and it only cost a few quid and I wish I could find one to fit her now! But she is perfectly happy in a collar as she stopped all the 'pulling on the lead' nonsense ages ago.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2